Exporting to MS Project with Correct Dates

chris_mchenry74916
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi, 

I am trying to export a schedule built-in Smartsheet to MS Project to share with a customer. When I export and open the file as an XML, none of the dates are correct. All of the other information appear to be accurate except the Start and Finish Date

Thanks, 

Chris 

ISSUES.PNG

SS-MS Issue.PNG

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Chris,

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s) or some screenshots? That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Alejandra
    Alejandra Employee

Hi Chris,

I see that you also submitted a request to our support team about this issue. Could you please confirm whether changing the Auto Schedule feature in Microsoft Project from auto to manual worked, as our support team recommended?

In case it's helpful, I found this resource on the difference between Microsoft Project automatic vs. manual scheduling: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/how-scheduling-works-in-project-5d4f5981-4e9f-4e8e-a699-2ef2a419252f

• I'm having the same issues as well.

The dates are changed as the XML file is imported to MS Project. You can toggle manual/automatic scheduling once the file is in Project, but it doesn't do anything to change the dates back to what they were in Smartsheet.

• hanst
    hanst ✭✭

Hi 

i am having the same issues as well. To take the example of Chris - the WBS for ELEC Engineering has no dependencies, yet the dates are changed after importing into MS Project.

File > Export to MS Excel - dates are correct

File > Export to MS Project

1. opened in MS Project as new project - dates are wrong
    2. Now in the same file deleted all lines and keep empty project open
    3. Open the same XML file and append to existing project - dates are right

MS Project 2013

• kjones3
    kjones3 ✭✭

I am finding that smartsheet, when exporting into xml format, is calculating the finish time incorrectly when the duration is in hours.  For example, in smartsheet I have a task with no dependencies, a duration of 9h, and a start date of 3/39.  In the xml file that smartsheet produces I see this:  

<Start>2019-03-29T00:00:00</Start>

<Finish>2019-03-29T08:59:00</Finish>

<Duration>PT9H0M0S</Duration>

Note that the duration is 9 hours 0 mins and 0 sec, but the finish time is 08:59:00.

• Same here! 

Could you please advice what settings are important in Smartsheet in order to make the project export workable with MS Project?

Thanks!