Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Move/import comments

Mattisphere
Mattisphere ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

I have comments on a sheet that is no longer going to fit with our structure and I would like to move the comments from a row on one sheet to a row on another sheet. Is there any way to move comments from one row to another? Any way to import comments to an existing sheet? I exported the sheet to Excel and the comments are on the second tab, but there doesn't appear to be any way to get comments into Smartsheet other than manually creating them.

Am I correct in that there is no way to backup and restore comments or move them from one row to another on the same or different sheet?

Comments

• Heidi Decker
    Heidi Decker ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Matt,

The comments and attachments only go with a move. You can move rows with comments attached within the same sheet or to a different sheet by selecting the row, right click and select move to another sheet. Select which sheet you want it to go to and your done. The trick is you have to move the row not just the comments.

Hope this helps,

Peace!

• Mattisphere
    Mattisphere ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/06/16

Thanks Heidi. I'm aware that the comments move if I move the whole row, but the issue is moving the comments to a different row that also has data in it. It seems like it might be possible if I move the row, delete the rest of the contents, delete the extra columns that moving the row to a new sheet created, and then paste the data back in times the 80 rows of comments I need to move. I was hoping there was a way to import or paste them in from Excel since they are exported to Excel. Doesn't appear that way though. 

• Heidi Decker
    Heidi Decker ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry Matt, I wish I had a better solution for you.

• Mattisphere
    Mattisphere ✭✭✭✭✭

The solution ended up as exporting the comments to Excel, running some code on them to join all of the different comments for each project into one cell along with time stamps and author initials, and then paste them into the comments as one long comment on the new sheet. While I lost the individual comment timestamps showing up as a conversation, I preserved all of the timestamp and author data and it's not too messy to read through. 

• Hello, I am currently needing to do the same. Can you explain to me how you manage to import the comments from excel? I have to do the same but I have thousands of rows with the unify comments and copy them manually would take a lot of time. 

• Sounds like an extremely convoluted process. Shame that Smartsheet doesn't have a solution for this. Running into a similar problem while trying to de-dupe a database where some rows have more information filled in than their duplicates, but the copies have extensive comments.

This discussion has been closed.