Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

View access only to a "set of rows" ?

Hi,

When I share a Smartsheet,  Is it possible to give view access only to a "set of rows" ?

I have a sheet with hundreds of rows. But I want to select/define the rows collaborators can view and edit. Is it possible now?

Thanks

-George

Comments

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi George

Try using a combination of Update Requests on selected rows for editor and Reports that are issued as View Only to show your collaborators a "through the letter box" view of just the data that is appropriate to them and not all the rest. 

Hope that helps RichardR

• Jeremy Michels
    Jeremy Michels ✭✭✭✭✭

George,

The reporting method is an easy way that you dont have to update or create as much as you would with other methods. If the user is view only on one sheet and is editor on another sheet. The report will only allow them to view those rows that are view only and make changes to rows that are editor level rows. Also note that if you have the person listed as the assigned to person for that row then you can be very specific to the person and have a tool that each person can access that shows them the rows that they are responsible for. It is live data and every time it is opened it is the most current list. 

• Travis
    Travis Employee
    edited 06/09/15

To clarify what Jeremy is saying, the report can be set to only show certain rows but in order to see the rows in the report, you have to be shared to the underlying sheets (which gives the user access to all the data in that sheet). If view only access is sufficient then you could build a report, publish it, then share the published report (the user will not need to be shared to the underlying sheets, but it is a read only view)

• Thanks. I will explore your suggestions for my requirement.  -George

This discussion has been closed.