Inspection Records

AndrewR
AndrewR
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello

I want to produce a record for equipment inspections.  There will be over 100 items of equipment to list and inspection frequencies vary.  I will need to show evidence that the inspection has been carried out, by whom and on what date.

Ideally, it would be good to be able to show basic points checked (guards, cables, access, condition, controls, etc.) on each inspection record,

I also need to be able to look back at previous records to provide an audit trail.

Are there any templates I can use or any suggestions, please?

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/28/19

Hi Andrew,

Have you checked the Solution Center? There are great templates to start with.

I'd recommend this one: Template: Inspection Tracking

Hope that helps and let me know if I can help in any way!

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Debbie Sawyer
    Debbie Sawyer ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Andrew

Smartsheet do provide lots of templates, but in my humble opinion, I find the best way to provide an IT solution for your scenario would be to design a sheet from scratch to match against your inspection process.

Once your process is mapped out it is usually clear, from the detail of how the process flows, which fields you need in your sheet and which categories to use and what data to collect.  To accommodate different type of equipment using different frequecies for inspections you could design multiple input forms which could be selected from a Dashboard or triggered from an alert looking at a previous inspection.  The workflow for equipment inspection would generally use a Grid type sheet, Alerts & Actions, Webforms and Reports.  All could be monitored through the Dashboard.

Again, in my opionion, templates are all very good, but fundamentally they are another persons thoughts on what data you need to capture and I believe for toolsets to work they need to be shaped to your processes and not the other way around (bending a process to fit around a template in IT).

Happy to discuss this further, good luck with whichever solution (template or self design) you go with.

Kind regards

Debbie Sawyer Consultant & Training Manager

Smarter Processes mean happy people in successful businesses

• Thanks Debbie

That's helpful.  I am a 'beginner' when it comes to Smartsheet but i can see it has the capacity to do what I want it to.  I'm mostly used to grids and forms so the more complex functionality is a bit new to me (hence my reference to a template!).

This must be a common requirement for anyone involved in machinery inspection recording, equipment monitoring or other OH&S requirements and a workable system would be a big benefit.  I don't really feel like reinventing the wheel!

How can you help me?

Regards

Andrew

• Debbie Sawyer
    Debbie Sawyer ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Andrew

I could help in a number of ways, the main 2 would be to:

• Analyse your inspection report requirements (in a little more detail that posted here) and set up your solution for you and transfer ownership of it back to you once you are happy that it works.  This would/could involve starting at mapping out your process, seeing where it fits with Smartsheet, creating all the sheets necessary, training you in how to maintain the solution.
    • Train you in all the necessary skills to be able to set this up for yourself.  I run either face to face training in the UK but if you are based further afield, I run remote training sessions (90 mins at a time) using Zoom Meeting conferencing tool (which is excellent!).  This allows us to connect, hear each other, allows screen shares and with Smartsheet and us both sharing a workspace I can see what you are doing and aid you in your development.

If one of the above looks good to you, or if you have a different idea of how you would prefer to engage my email is debbie.sawyer@smarterbusinessprocesses.com.

Kind regards

Debbie Sawyer Consultant & Training Manager

Smarter Processes mean happy people in successful businesses

• Hello there, I’d appreciate if you advise the availability of training sessions on how to create an inspection form. I need it for daily site/equipment inspections required by OSHA. Thank you!

• Melissa Boehl
    Melissa Boehl ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/12/22

@AndrewR @Giulia Ali I have created an equipment inspection and checkout/in workspace for our environmental group. I would be happy to copy and clear the data then share with you. I am also happy to help you adjust it to meet your business needs. Please let me know if your interested and I can start working on it this weekend!!

Btw: I am the Smartsheet Administrator for my engineering firm of approx. 400 employees. I am also a consultant part time on the weekends. I provide Smartsheet design/build services for personal, business, municipalities and non profit groups.

Melissa Boehl

Smartsheet Architect | TurningPoint Energy

• Melissa Boehl
    Melissa Boehl ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Giulia Ali @AndrewR

Also, unlike other consultants on here, I never charge fees to help build out processes. Many times businesses will send me an unsolicited payment because they are grateful. But it is absolutely not required. I enjoy helping others improve their systems and processes. So please do not hesitate to reach out. I'm happy to help!!

Melissa Boehl

• Melissa Boehl
    Melissa Boehl ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Giulia Ali I can use a copy of your current Osha report to generate something for you. I have also worked with OSHA so I have an idea of what you may need.

Melissa Boehl