Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Enhancement Request: relative addressing for cell linking in sheets, reports and sights

Dietrich Koch
Dietrich Koch ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

It would be great to be able to use relative addressing in cell linking between sheets and links in reports and sights instead of the fixed linking as currently implemented in Smartsheet.

Why?

We use Smartsheet for project management and have a set up a standard workspace which contains set of sheets/reports and sights intensely linked to each other. For every new project we make a copy of this template set ("save as new"). The sheets always have the same name and structure.

Now, if we have to change a sheet within this template set and copy it to all existing workspaces we have to go through every (!) sheet, report and sight to correct the links to the new sheet, because all the links currently refer to a specific cell (or range of cells) in a specific sheet.

If we could use relative links in the template workspace, we could just copy the new sheet to every existing workspace and the links still would work.

It would save a lot of time in the administration of the workspaces for all the existing projects...

Comments

• JamesR
    JamesR ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Dietrich,

Nice Idea and I would like that as well.  I am currently trying to redesign one of my customers system to see if we an greatly reduce the overhead when we create new systems from the old.

The problem is that the sheets are unique by thier sheet ID rather than thier name and address(Path), that is why you can have sheets with the same name in the same folder(possibly not recommended).

Even in Excel and MS project are identified by Name and Address, any links are still absolute by thier original path.

I smartsheet can find a way to do this it would make both our lives easier.

James

• Dietrich Koch
    Dietrich Koch ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thats it!

...and I'm absolutely sure it's not limited to our lives only ;-) 

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

This might be possible with the API using the celllink object.

When people start using words like "save a lot of time", that's when the API becomes a viable option to investigate ROI.

I haven't used the API for cell links, yet.

Craig

• Dietrich Koch
    Dietrich Koch ✭✭✭✭✭✭

No API Frown no testing...

Best

Dietrich

• JamesR
    JamesR ✭✭✭✭✭✭

To add to this I believe a Paste Special ~ Transpose ~ Cell linking would be vert useful, and would save my customers a lot of time ad money.  They often have data vertical in Months and want to be able to see it Horizontal in Month but to name one case.

This discussion has been closed.