Formulas - Can you exclude rows from average calculations?

mailene.h
mailene.h ✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

I am looking for the parent row to reflect a rollup of child row status color (RYG) AND if ALL child rows are blue (complete), have the parent row blue. I'm almost there, however, in the screenshot example below, the parent task is yellow although the 3 child tasks are either green (on track) or blue (complete).

Since the formula weights the different colors (R=0, Y=1, G=2) and divides the sum by the total number of child rows, the blue (completed) rows are counting against us in our average calculations.  

Is there a way to re-write the formula to exclude blue rows from the average calculation? 

=IFERROR(IF((COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Blue")) = COUNT(CHILDREN()), "Blue", IF((COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Yellow") + (COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Green") * 2)) / COUNT(CHILDREN()) <= 0.5, "Red", IF((COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Yellow") + (COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Green") * 2)) / COUNT(CHILDREN()) <= 1.5, "Yellow", IF((COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Yellow") + (COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Green") * 2)) / COUNT(CHILDREN()) <= 2.5, "Green")))), "-")

Example 1.jpg

Tags:

Comments

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 11/27/18

Yes. You just need to get the count of the blue children and subtract from the count of the children when setting your count for the IF statements.

..........(COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Green") * 2)) / (COUNT(CHILDREN()) - COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Blue")) <= 0.5, "Red".................

• mailene.h
    mailene.h ✭✭✭
    edited 11/27/18

So helpful - thank you! I am now noticing that if the status color for the child rows are BLANK, then the parent will still turn blue (I would rather have it "-" or something). Do you have a recommendation to fix that?

Here is the latest formula:

=IFERROR(IF((COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Blue")) = COUNT(CHILDREN()), "Blue", IF((COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Yellow") + (COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Green") * 2)) / (COUNT(CHILDREN()) - COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Blue")) <= 0.5, "Red", IF((COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Yellow") + (COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Green") * 2)) / (COUNT(CHILDREN()) - COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Blue")) <= 1.5, "Yellow", IF((COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Yellow") + (COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Green") * 2)) / (COUNT(CHILDREN()) - COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Blue")) <= 2.5, "Green")))), "-")

Example 2.png

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

If all children are blank, then the count will be 0. So if you incorporate in there somewhere...

IF(COUNT(CHILDREN()) = 0, "-", ..........

Another option would be to add the criteria to the third portion of your last IF statement.

............IF((COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Yellow") + (COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Green") * 2)) / (COUNT(CHILDREN()) - COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Blue")) <= 2.5, "Green", "-")))), "-")

• EEGordon
    EEGordon ✭✭✭

So what if your children are numbers that you want to average but you want to exclude rows where there is no value from the row count so it doesn't skew the average, but you need the row there chronologically?

This is the formula I was trying to use but it's not working

=(SUM(CHILDREN() / (COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), >=0))))

SS average exclusion.PNG

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You could use something along the lines of 

COUNTIFS(CHILDREN(), ISNUMBER(@cell))

This will only count children rows that have a number, so it will exclude text and blanks.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!