Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Feature Request - Comments and Attachments trigger 'modified' column value

Brad Jones
Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

I'm trying to create reports that will show my projects the changes to their workspaces over the past day.  I thought a report would do the trick, and I'd just filter by modified within the last day.  However, reports don't always catch what you're looking for, like ALL the changes.

Report WARNING, the "modified" system value does not take into account any changes to the comments or attachments.  So, if you're running a report and looking at changes in the past day, then the report will outright ignore any comment changes unless they were accompanied by cell changes in the target sheet.

If I tell the sheet to highlight changes, it catches all the comment/attachment changes.  If I get the daily notification for the sheet, then it catches any comment/attachment changes.  So...

Please fix the reports so that they also catch changes to the comments and attachments.  (This may necessitate a change to the way 'System Columns' work)

Also, please make it to where my reports can show more than 500lines on one page. 

It takes way too much time to read through the changes for each sheet every day.  I need a better solution than going sheet by sheet.

Comments

• Shaine Greenwood
    Shaine Greenwood Employee
    edited 10/27/16

Hello Brad—I've made our Product team aware of your feedback. System columns and reports are something of a different beast as they aren't programmed to know what type of cells they're looking at when making the change or pulling in data for the most part.

I've let the team know that you're looking for these features.

• gamgc
    gamgc ✭✭✭✭

I was just about to send in a question to SmartSheets support about why the *heck* my report wasn’t picking up a modified row in a sheet when I realised that the problem was that SmartSheets didn’t think that changing a comment constituted a modification to the row. Wow - how out of step with applications like IT Help Tickets where you would record developments in the Comments field.

And it’s not (just) a question of Reports. This is about a change to Comments triggering a change to the Modified column. The report would then pick it up by virtue of *that* change.

This should be a configurable option on a sheet by sheet basis; i.e. whether changes to Comments or Attachments trigger a change to Modified.

This discussion has been closed.