Checking if a cell has absolutely nothing in it

gtibalde
gtibalde
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

I have a sheet where I have needed to suppress any errors with ISERROR function. The formulas are showing blank now because division by zero errors are suppressed. The formulas will show data when data is entered in other cells. The issue is when someone adds a row to the sheet, I want to make it apparent that they forgot to copy these formulas into the new row by doing a check.

I created a column called "VALID ROW ?" with this formula =IF(OR(ISBLANK([VALUE / HOUR]7) = 1, ISBLANK([PICK NEXT]7 = 1)), "No", "Yes"), but that won't work because it's checking if the cells are blank, not empty. Is there a function that checks if a cell is completely empty, including not only blanks, but formulas that are returning blanks?

Thank you!

Comments

• L_123
    L_123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

the isblank formula should work even when a formula is returning a blank. I'm not 100% sure what is going on, but try to take off the =1 on the criteria.

=if(or(isblank({CellRef1}),isblank({CellRef2})),1,0)

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

L@123 is correct. If that still does not do the trick, you could change your original formula to display something instead of nothing and use conditional formatting to change the color of the text to match the color of the cell based on if that particular text is there or not. I usually just use "." for this.

This will give the cell something to count as, but will appear as blank.

You could then adjust your IF statement (I'll use my example above for this one) to something like this...

=IF(OR([VALUE / HOUR]7 = ".", [PICK NEXT]7 = ".", "No", "Yes")

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!