Bulk Report Update

lmarchisio
lmarchisio ✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in API & Developers

Has anyone come across a way to update the criterial for multiple reports at once?  We have several reports that all draw from the same set of sheets.  Every time we start a new project (and thus create a new sheet), we have to go to each report and attach the new sheet.  This is tedious and time consuming.  

I've even tried to find a work around through the API.  But I can't think of a way to do this either there or in Smartsheet itself.  

Any ideas would be welcome.  

Comments

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Have you tried creating a workspace? If you put all of the sheets in a single workspace, you can choose on the report to include all sheets in the workspace. When you add an additional sheet to the workspace it will automatically be included. 

See my screenshot on how selecting the workspace will automatically include all new sheets.

2019-04-10_10-52-18.gif

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The same can also be done at the folder level with multiple folders (or workspaces) selected. I don't have any of that fancy GIF stuff that Mike does, but it works the same way except you would click on the appropriate folder(s) instead of the workspace(s).

• Mike L.
    Mike L. ✭✭✭
    edited 04/10/19

I'm using workspaces the way that Mike suggests and it is great. I can drop in new sheets and all reports update automagically.  

The only downside is workspace permission management.  Every time I create a new workspace I have to create sharing permissions to the new workspace.  I'm at 37 workspaces now but I have many projects still in folders. If I move them all into individual workspaces I'm not sure if I can keep up.  

Edit: when I try reporting from a folder it only uses the files in the folders that were present when the report builder was setup. New files are not picked up by the report unless I specifically reselect the folder in the report builder.  Also I can't set custom permissions at the folder level. Another big issue for me. 

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/10/19

I'm using workspaces the way that Mike suggests and it is great. I can drop in new sheets and all reports update automagically. 

Awesome! Glad you were able to find a working solution.

The only downside is workspace permission management.  Every time I create a new workspace I have to create sharing permissions to the new workspace.  I'm at 37 workspaces now but I have many projects still in folders. If I move them all into individual workspaces I'm not sure if I can keep up.  

That can most certainly be a lot to keep up with.

Edit: when I try reporting from a folder it only uses the files in the folders that were present when the report builder was setup. New files are not picked up by the report unless I specifically reselect the folder in the report builder. 

Which puts you right back where you started... Sorry about that. I should have tested in more depth.

Also I can't set custom permissions at the folder level. Another big issue for me. 

I hadn't thought of that aspect. It could be set at the sheet level, but from the sound of it, that would be WAY too much work.

• lmarchisio
    lmarchisio ✭✭✭✭

Thank you all for your suggestions.  These are all workable, just requiring some reconfiguring of our file structure.  

thanks!