Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Same comment on multiple conversations

Chris Winfield
Chris Winfield ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Hi Community,

I was wondering if anybody knows a good way to quickly add the same comment to multiple rows. This will be a note to describe the circumstances for the setup of a group of projects on our project register.

Any ideas appreciated.

Chris

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Chris,

Assuming you mean in the Comments themselves, then no.

There might be a way to do that using the API, but I haven't run into that use case yet.

Here's some alternatives off the top of my head:

1. Use sheet level comment instead of row level

2. Use one row for common discussions. A PM / worker would need to look at two rows on the sheet - the common and their own project (depending on the way your sheet is organized)

3. Similiar to #2, use a [Setup Circumstances] column to hold a single cell and then each project row's cell in that column would reference the common comment.

4. Zapier (www.zapier.com) can trigger on a new comment, filter on the creator or the content, and then "do stuff". That stuff ncludes 'Add Discussions to Row' - but there is no way to recurse through all of the rows and the Zap row manipulation requires the RowID - so only good for static sheets.

But ... it could be made to work, I think in some cases.

Hppe this helps.

Craig

• Chris Winfield
    Chris Winfield ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting ideas - thanks Craig. In practice, I don't think these will really help much for my specific circumstances, but they have sparked off some interesting thoughts!

Cheers,

Chris

This discussion has been closed.