To stop the Counting Counter after One Column Value is changed.

adwitiy.singh
adwitiy.singh ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

I Have a project in which i have to Calculate the days. From the date form is submitted to the time it is approved by the internal team.

I want to stop the calculating counter after the Status of the internal approval is changing.  

The Approved Column has different drop down list which changes and and thus the count has to stop accordingly. 

I have used this to calculate the days, I need to stop the counter after approved is changed. 

=IF([PM Approval]@row = "Approved", COUNT(NETWORKDAY([Submission Date]1 - TODAY()), ""))

Capture.PNG

Tags:

Comments

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi there, 

The problem with the formula is that Today() will always perform your function from today's date. Smartsheet doesn't have the ability to mark a date that a field changed. It would be better if your sheet had a DATE field for approval. Then they could enter the date it was approved and you could calculate the difference between the two dates. It would require a workflow change, instead of choosing approved from a drop-down, they would add the date it was approved or a note on why it wasn't. 

Does that make sense? 

• Thank you for the quick response.

This Do make sense but i cant change the workflow of the activity. Dropdown of the List has many other options as well. 

Thats fine if i am calculating the dates from Submission date till Today. I want a formula that just stops the count if there is a change in the Internal Approved column. 

Example: If there was a form submission on 04/27/2018 and i have approved or selected some other option from dropdown  menu today 05/02/2018. I have the count till today total workingdays to be 4 days. I want counter to stop counting from tomorrow.  

So the final days count should be just 4 always. 

Capture1.PNG

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, that's not possible. The Today() formula will always adjust the date based on the current day. There is no way to make it stop calculating and leave you the last day it had calculated.

• This should be an added feature on smartsheet to have to know when a state change 

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Daniela,

Great idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!