Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Adding a numeric value to a cell with a checked box

Options
Kelly Hogan
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

I'm having a hard time and maybe it's because it's obviously not even possible? 

I'm wondering if a checked box can also equal a numeric value without adding additional columns. Possible? 

(Photo referenced below) If so, GOAL: Ex if checkbox is checked in this cell in Column BIGKY then that cell has a value that equals 50. Then in Column LILKY each cell when checked = 100. SO if in row2 Column BIGKY cell is checked and LILKY is checked I could do a sum formal in a Column Total to add both checked boxes' value Ex Column BIGKY checkbox value is 50 + Column LILKY checkbox value is 100 = 150 and would be written in column Total

.. I may be crazy. ;) 

Screen Shot 2016-11-30 at 6.44.35 PM.png

Tags:

Comments

• Admin@PAT
    Options

You could add columns but hid them to indicate that if BIGKY is CHECKED return 50 AND is UNCHECKED return 0, LILKY is checked return 50,AND if unchecked return 0 etc (I am not good with formula logic sorry)

Then in the TOTALS column have the formula sumof columns that you have added and now hidden to return the sum of the values returned.

There are some great links for SUMOF IF AND formulas in SS.

This page is helpful - scroll through: https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/775363-using-formulas#sumif

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Try this formula in the Total column:

=IF([BIGKY]23,50,0) + IF([LILKY]23,100,0)

for row 23

Craig

• Kelly Hogan
    Options

Thanks so much Admin@PAT for your response! Appreciate the help-good idea to hide them!

Wow, J. Craig Williams you did it!! Thanks for being so smart ;)

• And if you keep the top row to type the figures (like 50 for BIGKY and, say 75 r someone else, you can reference this figure in your formula in J. Craig Williams' formula which becomes:

=IF([BIGKY]24,[BIGKY]$1,0) + IF([LILKY]24,[LILKY]$1,0)

The benefit is that yu will update the 50 and 75 only once when you need to do it.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Kelly, 

LOL. I'll let my parents know. 

Charles' improvement is what I would typically do.

I don't like "hard-coded" numbers if it makes sense to avoid them.

Where it makes sense is something like if this year BIGKY is 50 and next year is 55.

Several ways to approach this (or most) problems - and different solutions for different requirements.

Craig

This discussion has been closed.