Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Cell linking within a sheet

Paul R
Paul R
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

Hi there,

I understand that you can link cells in Smartsheet between sheets, but I have been unable to link cells within a sheet - does anyone know if this is possible in any way?

Thanks,

Paul

Comments

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Paul 

Good news, you are trying too hard! 

just use the = sign, then go to the cell you want data to come from! (which must be in that sheet) 

Hope that helps? 

RichardR 

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Your formula would look like this: =ColumnName1

The 1 should be modified as the row number you are linking to. If you have spaces in your column name then you will need to add brackets like this: =[Column Name]1

• Hi Richard / Mike,

Thanks for your reply. I've tried what you've suggested in an existing Smartsheet file but it didn't work (it just showed the formula in the cell). I've also created a new sheet where I've been able to make it work. So I don't think that I'm doing it wrong in the 1st sheet. Maybe there's a restriction in the column (or sheet) settings? Refer attached screenshot.

Any ideas as to what's going on?

Thanks,

Paul

Capture.PNG

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Paul

The way you have this set up means the cell you are trying to alter a Date that is being calculated by the dependencies within it. You may be having more success in the New sheet because you have not enabled Dependencies? 

If you can't get this just how you would like it, Ill ask one of my colleagues JamesR or CraigW to advise as there are ways around this. But bear with them they have been very quiet recently because they are incredibly busy. 

Hope that helps? 

RichardR  

• Thanks Richard.

I've had a play some sheets - looks like cell linking works for dates in a basic sheet, but for a project sheet it doesn't work for dates (regardless of whether or not there are any predecessors specified).

If there was a way around this that would be appreciated (when your colleagues have time to look at this).

Thanks,

Paul

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

When Project Dependencies are enabled, all Project Setting columns (Start/End Dates, Duration, % Complete, Predecessor) will not accept formulas.

If you are trying to link to dates, you might be better served with Predecessors.

https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/765727-enabling-dependencies-using-predecessors

Craig

• I'm trying to create a summary section within a large sheet so I can link in the tasks from the remaining sheet; this is so I can easily see what my month plans are.  However, using the "=" on dates etc; as discussed, does not work when dependencies are enabled.

It may be useful to allow linking within the same sheet - would this be a possible development?

Thanks

Mike

• Jecathcart
    edited 05/01/19

Hello, I have a similar use case to the original poster & have run into the same roadblock. 

I have a project plan above, and then a list of master action items below. I'd like to be able to link the actions below to their counterpart in the project plan above, but because dependencies are enabled, I can't. So when things change, I have to update row both in the project plan and in the master action list. 

The only workaround I can think of is to have two different sheets & link them that way. Any other ideas? 

This discussion has been closed.