Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Notification when comments change

Brett Evans
Brett Evans ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

I am trying to get automaically notified when someone adds a comment in the System comments column (circled in green).

Thoughts?

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Comments

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Wait, not getting alerts when YOU make the change?  This is old behavior.  The system will not show you your own changes.

As for comments not working, that's a good question.  Could have something to do with SS not considering a change to a comment as a modification to that row.  Hope it's not a new bug.

• Brett Evans
    Brett Evans ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/08/16

Brad,

you were correct - the system does not send notification when you make your own chnages.  I was trying to test the notification for comments before rolling it out to users.  I forgot that detail of notifications.  So it's not a bug, but a feature.

Thanks,

Brett

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

If you do need to be notified of your own changes (like I do sometimes), I have two methods:

1. I have a second unlicenced user that I can have the notification sent to - since it goes to the same email, it is as if it were me. 

An email like this

my_name@gmail.com 

and

my_name+alerts@gmail.com

both go to the same email address according to Google but are different users according to Smartsheet.

2. Zapier (www.zapier.com) can trigger on new comments.

It won't trigger on updated comments.

Craig

• Natalie Gorman
    Natalie Gorman ✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/12/16

Hi Brett

What is the purpose of being notified when you personally make a comment? 

The reason I ask is that I wanted to run a report that would provide me with 'all' modifications, including comments, which is possible if other cells in that row are changed at the same time.  However if only the comment is updated, the report does not show this.

My work-around is to export both the report and the comments from the sheet to Excel and I have written a macro that with a little bit of manual tweaking provides me with excel workbook with the information I require.

Natalie

• gamgc
    gamgc ✭✭✭✭

Craig,

You say that Zapier can trigger on new Comments, as vs updated ones. I have not been able to get it do so. Adding a comment does not trigger an updated SmartSheet row in a Zap I have been trying to get to do so. How did you go about it, please?

Regards,

GAM (Glen A McAllister)

This discussion has been closed.