Non-Licensed User Admin rights

Shawn O'Banion
Shawn O'Banion ✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

I shared a sheet with a non-licensed and gave them admin rights, but they are unable to make column property changes.  

Is this the norm?  I thought that as long as they were given admin rights they could make those changes.  

Comments

• Gwen Rymill SBP
    Gwen Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭

Hi Shawn,

If an unlicensed user is shared to a sheet as an Admin, they won't be able to create and manage forms on the sheet or insert, rename, delete, hide/unhide, move or change the properties of columns. These features are available only to the sheet owner and licensed users with Admin sharing permissions.

Does that help?

• Bruce Case
    Bruce Case ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Shawn.  Yes, this is normal.  Here is a link from Smartsheet help that I have bookmarked and refer to frequently.  Hope this helps.

https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/1155182-sharing-permission-levels

• Ami Veltrie
    Ami Veltrie ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/20/20

@Gwen Rymill SBP @bcase24986 What 'can' a non-licensed Admin do? What is the intent/point of it?

• Debbie Sawyer
    Debbie Sawyer ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Ami Veltrie

Non-licensed users tend to be shared to as Editors or Viewers. I don't think they should be shared to as Admins as they have no admin rights - those rights come with a license.

So if you share to a non-licensed user then they will get Editor rights as the highest level of rights. As editors they can do edits and additions to data in your sheets, they can view and edit data in reports, they can view and analyse trends in dashboards. They can do anything to data at a row level.

They do not have any capability to do anything at Column Level. I.e. structural level of the sheet. They cannot hide/unhide columns, change column types/definitions. They cannot do anything that involves creating anything.

Non-licensed users are there to collaborate within the data aspects in other peoples sheets. So very useful in many many companies!

I hope this helps.

Kind regards

Debbie Sawyer (also from SBP)

• Jake Gustafson
    Jake Gustafson ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Based on Account-Level User Types for Business and Enterprise Plans | Smartsheet Learning Center a non-licensed (free user) cannot be the Owner of a sheet and they really gain nothing by being an Admin of a sheet. I've run into an issue where I have an unlicensed user who is the primary user of a sheet, but he cannot add new options to a single select drop-down list, which is really the only thing he needs to be able to do (besides editing the row values in the sheet). Is there any way around this? He doesn't need to create sheets, just needs to be able to manage the one he works with directly.

Thanks in advance.

• Debbie Sawyer
    Debbie Sawyer ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Jake Gustafson have you had a look at our drop down list manager? Maybe that would help?

This allows you to configure where dropdown list items are set from. I.e. you have a sheet that controls the dropdown list items in another sheet.

The entries on the config sheet can be edited by a free collaborator - as they are just entries in a sheet, but those get "sent" to the dropdown list properties of nominated columns in nominated sheets.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards

Debbie