Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Smartsheet doesn't stay collapsed

Joe Fulmer
Joe Fulmer ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

I have Parent Rows....clients.....with Child Rows representing contacts. I want SmartSheet to stay collapsed to the parent rows....but it always returns as expanded, even if I save as collapsed. Smartsheet acknowledged the error, I think concurrent with introduction of filters, and said a fix is on the way.....but I haven't seen it. Any update?

Comments

• Heidi Decker
    Heidi Decker ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for an update on this as well. It WAS somewhat working until this last upgrade.

Peace!

• JamesR
    JamesR ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Just in case you do not know, and I appolagise if you do.

On the Primary column Dropdown meny you can collapse all very quickly and the re open what you are needing opened.

Not ideal but it may help if you did not already know that.

• Heidi Decker
    Heidi Decker ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi James,

Yes, I am aware of that function. That's the only way I can continue to operate right now. The challange is when you're working across many sheets and they are all doing that every time I switch from one to the other. I just wish they would get it fixed.

Peace!

• Joe Fulmer
    Joe Fulmer ✭✭
    edited 12/28/16

Yep....aware of collapse but it's really annoying to do it many times per day...in fact any time I go to another tab. Smartsheet says they will fix it....sooner than later I hope.

• It's painful to not have this fixed.....it requires manually collapsing the sheet using collapse all many times per day. This arose when filters were added....please fix soon.

• Hi All—

Our Development team is aware of an issue where a filter applied on your sheet that includes parent rows causes the hierarchy to save as expanded, regardless of the hierarchy you've expanded or collapsed. Our devs are working to fix this as soon as possible, although we don't have a timeframe for when we'll see a resolution in the application.

UPDATE: I was just informed of a workaround until we can fix this:

1. Collapse and expand your rows as desired.

2. Save the sheet.

3. Close the sheet.

4. The next time you open the sheet, you might find the hierarchy all expanded. DON'T save the sheet! Instead, click the Undo button in the left toolbar, then you can save.

You may need to do this more than once until we can fix this issue on our end.

Again, thanks for your patience!

• Preston
    Preston ✭✭✭✭✭

Adding my name to the hat. Filters are great, but activating filters collapsing what should be expanded and expanding what should be collapsed is very frustrating!

• Hi Shaine, 

Any news on an ETA of the fix?

• Hi Mike—

I don't have a specific ETA but it appears that this will likely be fixed in our release at the end of this month.

Reach out to our Support team if you find this issue persisting in June.

• Frustratingly long to get this fixed, as it's not an enhancement, but a bug that's persisted for months and months.

• I can understand your frustration, and to confirm, this is not an enhancement request—it is unexpected behavior that our team has been working to fix for a while. Our Development team would love to be able to fix every bug as soon as possible (or not have bugs in the first place), but this is nature of the beast. We're actively working on fixing this, but it's not as simple as editing some code here or there, the issue has multiple causes and was intermittently reproducible, meaning it was never happened on some sheets and happened for different reasons on others.

Just as in my recent response above, the fix will likely go out at the end of this month, so hopefully the long wait is over.

• kefir
    kefir ✭✭

Hi, it is June, this issues does not seem to be fixed yet. I have a big, multi-level project schedule in Smartsheet and collapsing it each time I need to look at it is a hassle...... Any updates on the ETA?

• Preston
    Preston ✭✭✭✭✭

kefir,

Here's the response I received from support after I noticed there was no fix implemented.

Hello Preston,

Thank you for contacting Smartsheet Support. When Filters are applied to a sheet and the user navigates out of and back into the sheet after saving rows collapsed, child rows that were collapsed will be expanded. This behavior was flagged for review and our Product team has recently determined that collapsing rows when a Filter is applied has caused confusion about the returned results when users are expecting to see all results in the Filter criteria. Because of this, the Product team decided that rows expanding when the sheet is opened (and a Filter is already applied) is the best behavior for the situation and is now intended to be expected behavior.

I understand this may be a frustrating development for those who have been following this issue and wanting the reverse behavior to occur. If you'd prefer that rows stay collapsed, I'm happy to pass your feedback along to the Product team. 

Kind regards,

Grace

Smartsheet Support

• Hi All,

Marked this as best answer for visibility. 

It appears that this was mistakenly logged in our system as a bug, when it was in fact expected behavior.

I apologize for any inconvenience and frustration this has caused.

For those looking to have the previous functionality returned, you can make a request to our Product team directly with the Product Enhancement Request form under Quick links on the right of the community site.

• This is incredibly frustrating.  i suffer from this as well. Smartsheet instead of unilaterally making the decision for ALL users to only do one way, build in a setting option that allows users to self select preference.  This is a very painful user experience.  

This discussion has been closed.