Gantt Chart Display without Dates

nick cocilova
nick cocilova ✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Is there a way to display a Gantt chart with duration only and not display dates in the Primary or Secondary timeline heading?  I have a project I am currently working on but do not have approval for kick-off yet.  However, I want to communicate how long the project will take.

Thanks

Comments

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I use week assignments based off of my duration when I can't use actual dates. Using basic roll-up formulas I can show that this project will take x number of weeks and each deliverable will have a week number assigned to it as well. This gives the ability to filter/sort/drill down on individual deliverables and show how far along in the project those deliverables are due.

This gives a pretty good idea of what is due when and how long things will take without using actual dates.

• Can you share a screenshot on what this would look like?

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

In the example below, you will see that to finalize the scope of work, I have a deliverable that must be met on week 3, two that must be met on week 4, and one that must be met on week 11. My parent row shows that there are deliverables for the Scope of Work from weeks 3 - 11.

Postal is similar, except it is broken down a little further. Each parent row is a summary of the child rows beneath it. We are going to be discussing Postal Requirements from weeks 1 through 6. If we are opening a new PO Box, then we have deliverables needed on week 2, whereas an Out of Area PO Box doesn't have any additional deliverables until week 4.

My project plans are generally about 800 rows long, so I was unable to provide a screenshot of the entire thing to show the uppermost parent row displays weeks 1 - 16. This signifies that the entire project will take 16 weeks. (We also have a week 0 for deliverables that need to be met before the project itself even starts, but it's the same concept).

Instead of displaying this on a Gantt view, I pull the count of deliverables for each week number into a grid and then display it on a chart. When we do get actual dates, I simply switch my chart over to display the Monday of each week. I also use projected dates to show a baseline in comparison to actual dates. The chart ends up looking something like the second screenshot for the general baseline and the third screenshot while the project is in progress.

Comm.PNG

Comm2.PNG

Comm3.PNG

• Okay, thanks very much!  I will try this out!

• Nice processing but I too need Week 1, 2 , 3 as the only heading in a Gantt chart

• crachon
    crachon ✭✭

Hey Paul,

I have the same question above but can you change the date Gannt headers to "weeks" or "months", etc. Instead of actual dates?