Restrict access to smartsheet webform

kathlenew
kathlenew
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi, I'm setting up a smartsheet webform and I only want certain users only to be able to access the form itself. Is there any waay to set up user controls to only allow specified users with access to submit information to the webform?

Thanks!

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Kathlene,

Yes, no, and it depends!

You can set up the form to only be accessible to registered users so they would have to login to see the form.

How do you want the users to access the form? What's the use case?

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi Andree, 

I'm trying to create a case escalation tracker where users are to submit their details into the form (see below form). Is there a way to restrict access to the form itself to specified users?

Currently we have shared the form link to the users, but they are able to share this with other users who can then submit on behalf. 

I've added a created by and restricted only to registered users but all employees in my company have smartsheet license so that doesn't control who is able to submit.

Thanks,

Kathlene

Form.PNG

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 06/12/19

Happy to help!

You can see who sent it in because they are logged in.

Would that work?

Best,

Andrée

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Thanks! Yes that works as a workaround. 

Just want to confirm there's no way to control access to the form in the first place?

Best,

Kathlene

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent!

Unfortunately, it's not possible at the moment to restrict access on a user level, but it's a great idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

There are other workarounds as well but not one that would restrict it if someone else gets access to the link.

Hope that helps!

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

• This is really an inexcusable oversight by Smartsheet. The choice of restricting access to a form are binary: either anyone in the world or ANY Smartsheet user. That Smartsheet user does not need to be a user who has been given access to a client's instance. Anyone who randomly sets up a free Smartsheet account will be able to access a form that is "limited" to logged-in Smartsheet users. Which means anyone in the world.

It should be possible to limit access to a form either to users who have been added to the specific instance of Smartsheet, to a list of designated users or a group, or by email domain.

Forms relies entirely on security by obscurity now to limit who can access the form.