Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

How to auto-populate/insert 10-15 task rows as child items under new project row?

mcox23191
mcox23191
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

What is the best way to automatically insert a set of (about 10) rows as child tasks under each project row?  I am designing a smartsheet based on the Project Sheet template, but in my case we manage a large number (about 150) of projects. Each project is fairly simple: each project contains the same set of 10 tasks. I want to start with importing the list of 150 Projects - one project per Row. Then I need to go to each project row and insert the exact same 10 tasks as child rows under each of the project rows. The result will be a SS with about 1650 rows consisting of 150 projects and 1500 tasks, one row per project and one row per task. I am currently copying the 10 task rows, selecting each project, Ctl+V to paste in the 10 rows, and then indenting the 10 task rows I just pasted. Having to repeat this 150 times seems impractical. There must be a way to write a macro or hotkey or something.

Project Rows Duplicate Task Rows.JPG

Comments

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You can set up your 10 rows at the top of your sheet, then copy those rows and paste them under each row then indent them. It's fairly quick. I suggest creating them outside of a parent row so that its easier to paste and indent. 

• Hi there, 

Did you ever figure out a way to do this? I have the exact same need right now! 

• Has there been any updates on this?

I'd rather not do automated form submission referencing a ODBC connector.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Maybe something could be set up with the help of a third-party solution like Zapier or similar.

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Jose da Silva
    Jose da Silva ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Do you or anyone else has a solution for this?

I ran into the same issue now.

I have a spreadsheet that i want to have several minor projects, always with the same tasks, that will have new projects added frequently.

What i want is, everytime i add a row to this spreadsheet, i need it to have indented the same group of tasks as the others.

Ideally this would be done without any third party apps or scripts...

Thanks in advance.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Jose,

Not sure I follow!

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Jose da Silva
    Jose da Silva ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, i have a spreadsheet receiving information from a form.

Then, based on a set of rules/automations, the cell with the new "LAB code" will get imported to a "Tasks" spreadsheet.

In "Tasks", what i need to happen is, everytime a new LAB code is imported, i want the same group of tasks to show up indented to the parent row, which will be the LAB code.

I basically don't have a spreasheet yet, still literally sketching it before running it.

Hope i was not too confusing.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Ok.

Let's see if I understood it correctly!

You want multiple groups (parent/children) for the different LAB codes in the same task sheet and when there is a new one you'd like the "group structure" to be automatic.

Correct?

How often is a new LAB code submitted?

• Jose da Silva
    Jose da Silva ✭✭✭✭✭

YES!

Thats the idea.

New LAB codes would be added daily.

I obviously thought about creating a spreadsheet for each LAB code, but since there are so many, and the task group is so small, it would just be far too extensive and "boring"

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Two options.

1. One sheet per LAB Code, and then you could view everything in a report.
    2. Master Group Template in the sheet's top that can collect the correct information from the form sheet (from the LAB Code) that you then would copy to a new section in the sheet.

What do you think?

• Jose da Silva
    Jose da Silva ✭✭✭✭✭

2. nd option:

You mean building a template with endless blank projects?

Ex.: (in the same spreadsheet)

- LAB(blank)

task1

task2

task3

- LAB(blank)

task1

task2

task3

...and so on?

If this is your idea, i might try it.

It gets me rid of the constant copy/paste.

I just have to build it once, and then just create more as needed.

My struggle is that the person who will be typing data on this really doesn't want to copy/paste all the time, and also wants all this on the same spreadsheet, hence my request.

If you have a different idea, let me know. :)

Thanks!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help!

Two variations of your suggestion.

1. One Master Project in the sheet's top and when the LAB Code is added, it would collect the information from the form sheet, and then copied to a new position in the sheet.
    2. Each project section already added to the sheet, and when the LAB Code is added, it would collect the information from the form sheet.

It seems like option 2 would be the best one for your use case.

What do you think?

• Jose da Silva
    Jose da Silva ✭✭✭✭✭

Indeed, option 2 sounds like the best for my needs, with some cell linking on the mix.

Thank you for your help! :)

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent!

Happy to help!

This discussion has been closed.