Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

PROPER Function to change ALL CAPS to All Caps

sojourner16
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

I have a very long sheet where all text was written in upper case.  I know the UPPER and LOWER functions will change the entire sentence to lower case, but is there a PROPER function (like in excel) to capitalize the first letter of the sentence with the subsequent letters in lower case?

Comments

• Hello sojourner16,

There currently isn't a PROPER function or equivalent function that will convert text strings to sentence casing. At this time, you'll need to manually change the text to reflect the sentence casing you want.

When you have a moment, please submit your enhancement request for a PROPER function using the Product Enhancement Request form under Quick links on the right of the community site.

• Michael.Baker
    Michael.Baker ✭✭
    edited 07/01/19

I'm starting to feel like this is some kind of bad joke... I really like SmartSheet for a lot of reasons but I grow ever frustrated with the weak and at times strangely arbitrary support of it's Function engine.  You have and UPPER() and LOWER() why leave out PROPER()?  I can appreciate that there are special considerations that make supporting certain functions difficult or impractical but this just seems like an oversight. 

• mdFleet
    mdFleet ✭✭

I'm very new to Smartsheet and this took me off guard. It's very time consuming to manually adjust hundreds of entries when it could be done in a snap.

This discussion has been closed.