Dashboard - Gantt Show Only Today Forward

Options
griffjen
griffjen
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Anyone know how to make dashboard widget of a gantt chart only show today and forward?  It displays correctly in the Report Builder as there is an option in Settings > Timeline Display to check the box "Open to today's date".  Can't figure out why it won't do this in Dashboard widget.  You can scroll to today and it prints accurately, but it does not default to today when opening dashboard.

Comments

• Shaine Greenwood
    Options

Hello,

Dashboards currently can't open the Gantt timeline of a report widget to today's date. At this time, you'll need to manually scroll to the current day when looking at the report widget.

Otherwise, you might consider changing the When criteria of your report to only pull in rows in a certain date range.

This should narrow what is visible in the report widget so that you don't have to scroll as much.

• Bryan Sampson
    Options

Actually, you can accomplish this by adding a new Column (I named it Today) which has to be a Date column. Then, create the =TODAY() formula in the top most cell, and then drag that cells contents all the way to the bottom of your SmartSheet. Then create a report where the When is looking at the newly created Column (I named it Today) and the Finish date. To simplify the report, the Today column should display when the data Is A Date which is an actual selection

This should show only the tasks from today with a finish date in the future. You can fine tune this by modifying the Finish date criteria. For instance, if you only want to see Tasks that have a Finish date in the next 60 days, the When in the Report builder would show Today: is a Date and Finish: Is In the Next 60 days.

I have attached a screen shot showing what I did in the Report Builder app.

I hope this helps

Report from Today forward.jpg

• dwestera
    Options

How is this reflected in the Widget? I can't get it to start on todays date.

• Following this thread. I have this issue as well

• rmotani
    Options

I would also like to request this functionality (i.e. open Gantt chart to today's date or a pre-determined date without manual scrolling)

• Clive Cooper
    Options

Thanks Bryan this concept really helped,

I'm not sure I got how to use the 'when' part right as bringing the today column as the start date for the report gantt all my time lines where starting today 

I  extended your Today formula to

=IF(Start1 > TODAY(), Start1, TODAY()) 

which worked so all my report gants now show form today going forward

• parmenakis
    Options

I'd just like to bump this issue and add myself as another person who wishes this would work.  Pretty silly that you can have it snap to today's date for everything else, but when making a dashboard for my VP to keep an eye on, I have to have him keep scrolling.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi everyone,

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment to have your vote added

A New Way to Submit Your Feature Requests

To make your Enhancement / Feature Request count, send in the form above because there isn’t a guarantee, it will be registered otherwise.

Original Post: https://community.smartsheet.com/announcement/new-way-submit-your-feature-requests

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Jamielepard
    Options

@Clive it looks like you've got this sorted. I tried your formula and @Bryans method. Sadly, I cant seem to get either to work.

Could either of you help me with the logic on the added column? Thanks very much indeed.