Automation with Update Request

RAH
RAH
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi, I have automation working with multiple approvals and update requests. 

1.  An approval is submitted to 1st person

2.  They deny and the workflow is set to either deny in total or deny with an update request.

3.  The person who submitted then gets the update request but it doesn't say what needs to be updated just that it needs work.

Is there a way to tell the person submitting what needs to be updated.

Thanks

RAH

Comments

• Use Advanced Options - and ensure "A Comment" is part of the email notification. This allows the person denying the request to add a comment.

On the notification to Request an Update - ensure "A Comment" is there as well.

I am hoping this works! I am just now setting these up.

• Thanks.  I just found that.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Rah,

Is the update request always asking for the same fields to be updated?

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• The update request would require additional information or an answer to a question.  I got that part working now I have run into a different problem. Basically I'm trying to do the following:

1.  Receive a request for an approval sent to Approver #1

2.  If Approved-Approver #1 selects approved and then it moves on down the line. 

[this is where I get stuck]

3.  If Denied-Approver #1 needs to be able to decline the request OR request an update. 

4.  The requestor gets the request to update and then resubmits all on the same request.

Is this possible?  The way I have it right now if Deny is selected it goes straight to the update request.  I saw some people mentioned a drop down list but I'm not seeing that option on the approval workflow and we are trying to do this without logging into the sheet. 

Thanks

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 07/21/19

Happy to help!

Another request would send to Approver 1 if denied and the choices would be Decline or Request an update. If the option selected is Request an update that would trigger an Update request.

Would that work?

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Ty Hickman
    Ty Hickman ✭✭✭

Andree,

Wondering if you can help me. I've been trying to figure out how to do this approval work flow with the update request but I think I'm missing something very basic.  I can build a workflow with two choices, approve or reject, but don't understand (and can't find it in any help topics) how to build in the request for updates and a resulting re-approval step.

Thanks,

Ty

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Ty,

I'd be happy to help!

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help.

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

• Ty Hickman
    Ty Hickman ✭✭✭

Andree,

I'd say my process is the same as the one RAH describe earlier in this thread where an approver has the option to approve, reject or request an update.

I've attached the workflow I’ve built.  The approved path is fine and I can do a simple reject path, but I don’t understand how to do the update request option. I've been able to do an update request in place of a reject path, but not both at the same time.   Also, when I do the update request path I’m unable to set it up so that the approver can add comments about why they are rejecting.

Thanks,

Ty

7-23-2019 8-33-48 AM.png

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You'd another action to the If Declined path.

1. Depending on where you want to store the status you'd either add another column or change the options in the one you're using something like. For this one, I would use something like Requested clarification, Update Requested, and Final Declined

Add a Request approval and update the Approved/Declined and change the status options to match the above and change the buttons to something like Request Update and Decline.

If Request Update is selected, then you continue the If Approved with a Request an Update Action, and if it's Declined, then you can send out an alert.

To have the Approval sent again, you'd add a check-box column or similar to check and then that would trigger the Approval Workflow again. You'd also have to add that as a "or when" criteria for the Trigger. Another option would be to continue the path with a new Approval workflow.

Hope that makes sense, helps, and that I missed nothing.

Did you get it working?

• Hi Andree, I still can't get this work.  How do I add another action apart from the first action to the declined path?  The part where it is a straight approval and denial works fine.  I'm not not sure when you say add another declined path where to put that as it doesn't give you that option.  I've take out everything that doesn't work so far and below is a screen shot of what does work.  I'd be happy to email the file with you so I can get this working. Do I do that by sharing the sheet?

Once I get this workflow working I have mutilple sheets it can be used for. 

Any help is appreciated.

Image 31.jpg

• This is what I am trying to do.  The green section works.  The red does not.

Approval Workflow.png

• Ty Hickman
    Ty Hickman ✭✭✭

RAH,

I figured this out using update requests only. I didn't use the approval workflow at all.  It is pretty complicated, but let me know if you are still working on this and I'll see if I can piece it together for you.

Ty

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I missed coming back to your post!

Did you solve it?