Create a Smart Form to update a row data

celis.roland
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

How do I create a form to update a data? For example, I want to just click the row line and a form will pop up so I can update it and save rather than scrolling the line item from left and right to fill in the blanks.

Hope anyone could help. Thanks. 

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Celis,

The easiest way would be to right-click on the row and select Row Actions > Edit Row or to click the little drop-down arrow to the left of the row and select Edit there.

Hope that helps!

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Ezra
    Ezra ✭✭✭

I think I kinda get the drift of what you are trying to do, but a form wouldn't do it.. If you go to/create a temporary workspace, click on the + on the far right toolbar (below home/recent/favorites). Browse the IT templates and use the Template Set called IT Requests and Tracking. Use some of the logic/methodology for generating reports - specifically, the one that shows rows assigned to the user that's signed in: "Report - Unresolved Tickets Assigned"

You can also dig into the Alerts and Actions automation of requesting updates or approval.

• Thanks everyone for the suggestion. Will try and let you know the result. Thanks again! 

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help!

Best,

Andrée

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Lee Joramo
    Lee Joramo ✭✭✭✭✭✭

By "create a form to update a data", maybe you want a nice form like SmartSheet provides to submit a new row. Perhaps you really want to specify which fields will be displayed and have have the customizable Headings and help text. If this is the case, you would need to use the API to create a system external to SmartSheet.

I have created such as system for my workplace.

Each row contains a cell with a URL linking into the external system. When clicked you got to a form that displays current row contents with a nice layout. It can be edited and submitted back to SmartSheet.

In the coming weeks, I am planning to created some screencasts to demonstrate what can be achieved via the API. (My system also does more things, submitting new rows using complex form layouts, additional types of form validation, live calculations, auto-filling fields with data from other sources, printable views, etc)

• Jose Munoz
    Jose Munoz ✭✭✭✭

Hello Leejoramo,

were you able to create the screencast to demonstrate the API and Form utilization? 

Thanks,

• Lee Joramo
    Lee Joramo ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I did create a post about showing a "Printable View of a Row". This goes from a link in the row, to an external tool that uses the API to create a nicely formatted page.

https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/api-demo-creating-formatted-and-printable-view-row

I have not created a demo of creating a form to submit data into SmartSheet, but tool shown above is actually bi-directional. It can add, modify and view SmartSheet content. Need to find the time to create more demos.