Running workflow with alert & if, then formulas

cltesh99671
cltesh99671 ✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

When a row is added/changed, I need a workflow that kicks off an approval email to only two people. After those two people receive the alert to approve or decline (I only need one response), whichever they choose needs to fill in "approved by" and "approved date" columns in the sheet. How do I set this up correctly?

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

In the Approval Workflow, the approver(s) can only select one of two choices. It's not possible to add a date.

Four options/workarounds.

1. If the row isn't changed after the approval, you could lock the row automatically and have the date stored.
    2. There is also the cell-history where you can see when it got approved.
    3. Third-party service/integration like Zapier that can store the date automatically when it's approved.
    4. If possible, you could use an Update Request instead and then the approver could add the date as well.

Will it be possible that both Approvers answer the request, or is it always one or the other that will answer?

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

Hope that helps!

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• cltesh99671
    cltesh99671 ✭✭✭

Thank you, Andree! This is most helpful. Until Smartsheet can add this functionality, we will opt for the Update Request.

Have a great week, too!

Regards,

Crystal 

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent!

Happy to help!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!