Contact not displaying name on Assigned To field

LW
LW
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

When I try to add one particular contact that I added to my contacts list to the Assigned To field on a Gantt chart, it won't display the Name... just the person's full email address. This is only happening for this one contact - the rest are fine. I did some troubleshooting and if I edit the email address with a dummy address, it displays the Name. If I revert back to her real email address, it reverts back to only displaying the email address.

Has anyone seen this behavior? Isn't a huge deal but it's a long email address so creates a usability issue in that you can't easily see all Contacts in the Assigned To field (I have multiple contacts assigned to tasks).

Thank you.

Tags:

Answers

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Have you tried looking at your personal contacts in smartsheet?

1. Click on the account menu dropdown (Your user image or icon in the upper-right).
    2. Choose My Smartsheet Contacts.
    3. Locate the email address that is giving you problems.
    4. Right-click to edit it and add their name. 

See screenshot below.

2019-04-30_08-37-30.jpg

• LW
    LW
    edited 05/01/19

Hi Mike Wilday -

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I did look at that. I created the contact there, deleted it and re-added it several times this way, as well as on the task assignment view in my troubleshooting attempts.

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Have you tried clearing your cache to see if its a cache issue with Smartsheet? If not I would contact support and let them know what you are experiencing. 

• Same issue here... Try to delete and recreate contact but somehow I just got the email in the "Assigned To'" field even though I see both Full Name and email in the "My Smartsheet contact form... Not a show-stopper but annoying :)

• Barry Bowles
    Barry Bowles ✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/16/19

I'm having the same issue on ALL my contact fields - they ONLY show the email address and not the name  of the person - this is annoying - surely we should be able to display the name of a contact in a contact field?

Screenshot - 8_16_2019 , 9_53_33 AM.png

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Barry,

If you double-click on the contacts, you should get a window where you can add the name.

Did it work?

Hope that helps!

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, Andree's suggestion should help. 

• Barry Bowles
    Barry Bowles ✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/17/19

Thanks Andrée, I have double checked and every single contact has a first and last name  see examples - I appreciate the suggestion - any other ideas? I am thinking there must be a switch somewhere in Smartsheet that determine this - I even watched the smartsheet training video and that showed a mix of display results but did not explain how to have them all display consistently. However it shows in the video that if you only have the email address recorded then only the email will display and if you have both name and email the name will display but that is not the behavior I am getting - it seems it ONLY displays the email address in my sheets wherever I use a formula in the contact field.

I am including 2 screenshots one showing my contacts list and one from smartsheet's training video showing how it should display.

Screenshot - 8_17_2019 , 7_21_56 AM.png

Screenshot - 8_17_2019 , 7_14_42 AM 002.png

• Barry Bowles
    Barry Bowles ✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/17/19

Hi Andrée  and Mike and others I think I spoke too soon ! I may have just  discovered the source of issue as I have found a couple of sheets that do display the name. and the difference between them is that I am using the new feature to do a lookup in the contacts field in the ones I am having display issues (which is all the contacts in the main sheet I am working in ) I will experiment with that lookup feature to see if it can be forced to display the name instead of the email address.

Sorry to shout for help too soon - I do appreciate the willing support of the community and hope that I too can give back to the community as I gain more experience in smartsheet

regards

Barry

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help!

Thanks for sharing!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Glad we could be of service! :) 

• Hi, I am having the same problem.  The contacts in my Smartsheet Contacts all have first and last name and email.  However, when I even use the lookup to select those users, it still only shows the email address in the Assign To field.  Soooo annoying.  Help!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Malinda,

I know there are some issues with Contact Formulas at the moment and the Smartsheet team is working on fixing them. Have you tried the tips here in this post and the ones in the announcement thread?

More info: https://community.smartsheet.com/announcement/announcing-formula-support-contact-columns

Did you get it working?

Hope that helps!

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

work-bold

• Hello,

This just happened to me as well even after I followed the above advice. I found a way to fix it, though -

First, add the name and email address to your contact list as described above. You may still see the email address only when assigning a contact from the dropdown list, but select "+ Add New". Add the name and email again there (it may auto-populate with the name, which is fine if you use that). That reset it for me so I no longer see the email only of one contact.

• Athar
    Athar ✭✭

Hi Andrée Starå, I have a column with properties "Auto Number/ System - Created by". The column shows only email address of the person who submits the request thru form. The user has to login to submit the form, hence; the name and email address are already in Smartsheet contacts.

I want to display contact name instead of email address abc@xyz.com. As a workaround, I have created another column with properties "contact list" and used formula =[Created by]@row. The cell is still showing email address.

Looking for help. Thank you.