Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Individual Sheet Sharing has turned into Entire Workspace Sharing???

Denise Quach
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

We use link sharing to share individual sheets with customers and employees. Now the link provides a link to the entire workspace. Is there a reason for this change? Is there a way to still link to an individual sheet?

Comments

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Hi Denise, the sharing functionality of workspaces has not changed. All sheets, reports, and templates located inside of a workspace are shared to whoever is shared to the workspace. If you want to have individual sharing permissions on sheets, I would recommend using folders to organize your sheets, rather than workspaces. 

Here is an article from our help center on workspace sharing: http://help.smartsheet.com/customer/portal/articles/522067-workspace-sharing

Let me know if you have any questions about this! 

• I understand that you need to share a workspace in order for sheets to be accessed, however we used to be able to share the individual sheet to direct someone straight to the sheet. Now it only provides a link to the workspace which requires a person to look through and find the right file we're referencing.

This is also inconvenient in cases where I update a sheet and would like to ping my team on an email thread regarding the update with a link that takes them straight to the sheet. If I want to achieve the same goal, I now have to send the link through smartsheet which creates a new chain of emails...

screen01.png

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Thanks for the clarification! The wording has changed but the functionality is the same. The link located in the Sharing tab for a sheet in a workspace will still bring you directly to the sheet. You can test this by navigating to the link - it will bring you to the sheet and not the workspace. 

This discussion has been closed.