Automatically add formula to new rows

Nataleigh
Nataleigh
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

I have a sheet with a formula set up to find duplicate email addresses. But, when new rows are added, the formula doesn't copy to the new row. Is there a way to make the the new row also includes the formula. Sidenote: when a new row is created, it also triggers Zapier functions so I can't just drag the formula down into empty rows or it causes a Zapier problem.

Thanks!

Tags:

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Nataleigh,

How are the rows added? Top, bottom? Are there at least two rows with the formula before or after?

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

Hope that helps!

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

work-bold

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• The rows are currently added to the bottom. The formula is in at least two rows before the last empty row but not after it for the reasons below. 

We have a Ninja form on our website. When a person completes that form, a Zapier zap is triggered so the information gets added to smartsheet at the bottom. Another zap sends that person a thank you email.

If I copy the formula into what are now "empty" rows, Zapier will think it's new information and look for the email address to send the thank you email which will cause an error.

Because we're watching our number of submissions, we want to make sure there are no duplicates. So, I set up a formula so a box would get checked if a duplicate email is detected. =IF(COUNTIF(Email:Email, Email@row) > 1, 1).

• Ella
    Ella ✭✭✭✭

I too am having the same issue. For the most part I got it to work by incorporating ISBLANK into the formula, however on some sheets I am still having issues with the formula despite that. Still trying to figure it out. 

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Have you tried/would it work if you add them to the top instead? Maybe it's just a temporary glitch.

Hope that helps!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• I am having the same issue

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@markrecital

How are the rows added? At the bottom or the top?

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

• MCorbin
    MCorbin Overachievers Alumni

Are you guys still having this problem? I've noticed this with just one of my sheets. It's one where I copy and paste (every morning) data from an Excel spreadsheet into this sheet. I have a bunch of calculated fields on the first line of the sheet that used to automatically copy down to the new rows, but for some reason they stopped.

I tried creating a 2nd row at the top to make sure that wasn't the issue, but they're still not copying...

Weirdly, I have another sheet (for another report) where I do the same thing and that one is working fine....

• MCorbin
    MCorbin Overachievers Alumni

And there I go answering my own question..... I noticed in the sheet that wasn't working, the top row was "locked". I unlocked it and my calculated fields started copying again. Good to know....

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@MCorbin

Glad you got it working!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!