Centrally Manage Drop Down Lists for Multiple Sheets

Chann403
Chann403
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

I work with a small Real Estate company and we lean heavily on Smartsheet for all of our task and workflow management. We have built a system of task lists, workflows, and meeting agendas that all work very well, but at the moment we have to edit drop-down lists manually sheet-by-sheet. I've searched the community for ways to centrally manage our drop-down lists, and I'm seeing questions about this that date back as far as three years.

This is really important functionality for us and I'm really hoping someone can tell me if we can hope to see this added to Smartsheet in the near future. All of the work-arounds I've found so far unfortunately don't work for us.

If you're unable to create a drop-down list management tool, it could solve the issue if we were able to insert cross-sheet references within a drop-down list. That way, I could create a Drop-Down List Sheet where each column is a drop-down list and each drop down list would refer to that sheet. Hopefully that makes sense...

Does anyone else have any work-arounds I may not have found yet?

Thank you!

Comments

• Nick Burrus
    Nick Burrus ✭✭✭✭✭✭

This is an amazing feature and I wish I could just set a dropdown to pull a list/range from another sheet to make it super easy.

The only true way to do this is Zapier.

Dr. St Nicholas Burrus DHA, PMP

I build Smartsheets for the US Government, State Government, and about a dozen of the US Fortune 100s.

• We do use Zapier, but I didn't realize they would have a solution for this issue. Can you tell me a little more about how I could set this up, or how you use it if it is solving a similar issue for you?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 09/28/19

Hi,

Here is a workaround I've created that gives you the possibility to use lists of information and choose from that list inside a sheet (doesn't work with mobile, only desktop) (maybe could work now with iOS13, haven't tested it yet)

I'm utilizing cell-linking for this workaround. The main sheet is linked to the dropdown/list sheet.

Please see the attached link/screenshot for more information.

Example of dropdown/list

Here's a link with a better explanation on how it's done.

Link Reference Sheet DropdownCould that work?

Hope that helps!

Let me know if you have any questions or if I can help you with anything else!

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

work-bold

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• IT_DEPT_TRANSARC
    edited 12/04/19

@Nburrus

We also use Zapier and I can't manage tu update drop down list.

Could you please explain me your magic trick to perform this ?

(Sorry for bad english)

Regards,

Hubert

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!