Conversation carriage return

Cindy Ernst
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

I used to be able to type in the Conversation feature, hit enter and it would start a new paragraph.  Not enter seems to be programmed to automatically post the text I am typing.  So if I make a mistake and need to add a paragraph in between text...I can't.  Am I the only one having this issue?  Are there any work arounds?  What the heck am I doing wrong?  Very frustrated that the features keep changing or 'improving' which end up not being positive improvements with how I am using smartsheets.

Comments

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Have you tried using SHIFT+ENTER? 

• Genius!  Yes, that worked.  It used to be just plain old Enter.  Then I tried Alt + Enter.  I was losing my mind!! 

Thank you!

• Y M
    Y M ✭✭✭
    edited 10/06/19

@Cindy Ernst, I agree. I recently intentionally hit ENTER on my keyboard assuming it would trigger for a new paragraph and it just posted my comment which was annoying because I too thought it wasn't going to do that. I think most texting & social media usage programs us to assume that all online platforms would do the same.

Either SmartSheet changes to prevent this from happening or we as customers/users/collaborators just have to understand and get used to avoiding hitting enter to create a new paragraph..

I say we vote on this as users of SmartSheet to prevent enter as a trigger to directly post a comment. We all know most social media and texting platforms DO NOT trigger a comment immediately when you hit "RETURN/ENTER."

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Cindy, Glad I could be of help. I recommend submitting a product enhancement request to allow an option of either enter or shift-enter to create line breaks on the conversation feature. 

• Jim Hook
    Jim Hook ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I keep doing this too and end up having to edit the comment to trigger a new paragraph instead of posting the current comment. Oddly, when you're entering a normal text cell you type control-enter to generate a new paragraph while in the comments you enter shift-enter. I think they should use the same process in all areas.

• Chuck Muirhead
    Chuck Muirhead ✭✭✭✭✭

PLEASE fix the comments....

1. The step in having to hold the "Shift" key, while pressing return is not intuitive and is not an industry standard in other web-based platforms.  My employees are telling me that they are typing their comments in a notepad or Word document, then pasting them into Smartsheets.  also, if they accidentally hit enter and it saves the partial comment, it triggers automations that multiple times as they are fixing their comments. 

2. Show newest conversations at the top and not have users scroll to the bottom of the list to find them.