Why can't Smartsheet work in an Ipad Browser?

Fly.on.the.wall
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

I understand there is an IOS app but it does not come close to the computer browser based environment, it doesn't perform as well, doesn't have matching capability, heck even the user interface is different. I  do not care for the app  but I love Smartsheet in a computer browser. 

I am baffled as to why Smartsheet does not work in a standard browser on an Ipad device? What is different from using the Safari browser on my Mac or using it on my Ipad? I don't have this issue with any other web-based application that I use (excluding Flash). There are many complex browser based application that are device agnostic and I just want to understand what makes Smartsheet different that it can't achieve this important functionality?

Comments

• Hi Fly.on.the.wall,

Our development team is focused on improving the Smartsheet mobile apps such that your mobile experience and desktop experience have the same features and capabilities.

A couple of reasons for our approach to this:

• The desktop version of Smartsheet wasn't designed to be mobile-friendly. The design philosophy around this was built for a keyboard and mouse (or trackpad). 
    • Applications on iOS and Android work best as installable apps. The mobile version of these browsers has extremely limited capability—which leads to an experience that doesn't meet our standards.

Due to the above, we decided to spend our resources on developing the mobile applications. If mobile browsers become more robust to the point that they can keep up with desktop browsers, then we might reconsider our approach.

• kshortt
    kshortt
    edited 07/31/18

I agree with original poster.  I've got an iPad Pro 12.9 inch display with a keyboard.   Can't figure out how to launch the web based version of Smartsheet, stuck with the mobile app only.   While I appreciate your effort on the mobile app the functionality of the web version is light years ahead of the app.

How do I unblock Smartsheet on my iPad from forcing opening in the app instead of the browser?

• i agree too with the original poster. the ios app wont be anytime soon equal to the desktop version of SS. so im thinking of replace my ipad pro with a surface pro, which i am not really happy about ... even if SS is not easy to use on a ios device, it should be possible for those actions, which are not provided in the ios app. 

in addition: the new ios app is much better than before, but still not really handy. its not possible to duplicate a row, which is essential because your forced to fill in every cell new, which is a joke on a mobile a divice. i really dont understand why i cant copy paste a row, when its possible to cut and paste ... seems to me the SS developers dont use the app in the field ...

• For goodness sake, please let me just view the desktop web version on my iPad. Like a link “go to desktop version”. Otherwise mobile Smartsheet is just a fancy table maker, which isn’t helpful.

• Totally agree with this post. Unless I’m missing it, I can’t do simple things in the app for iPad like change the font of text, or strike through text, or even enter a simple formula.

I ought to be able to request the desktop site and use that at my own risk, but Smartsheet seems to preven this.

Please change quickly, or you’re greatly limiting your usefulness for many of us on tablets.

• Hi, crying

Has there been any progress towards this? I really want to use my 2018 12.9 inch IPad Pro to build with Smartsheet but the desktop site on the iPad is unusable. The. iPad app is even worse.

• just got my smart keyboard for the ipad pro 2018 and realised that i cant copy-past in the ios app. what a shame! crying

i asked you above to add the function to duplicate a row in ios. especially with the keyboard it would be very convenient.

so please add this soon or tell me, why this so difficult to do, thx a lot. 

• I would also appreciate an update.  In addition to the limitations above, the mobile app can’t even view cell formulas (I would be happy to be corrected if I am missing something...)

• bheiser1
    bheiser1
    edited 06/07/19

This is very disappointing. I was about to sign up for an account to manage personal projects. Once I discovered that Smartsheet disallows use of iPad browsers (even in “load desktop site” mode), I changed my mind and will not subscribe for personal use. Trello and others work just fine in a browser and in the native app on an iPad Pro, so there are plenty of options.

I’ll still use Smartsheet at work where we do our work on regular computers, though the prohibition of iPad usage is annoying even there, when we may need to login while mobile.

I don’t understand why iPad browsers are made non-functional especially the latest iPad Pro models which are highly capable. Unfortunately the native app isn’t functional enough to replace “desktop” style use.

Maybe this will change when iPadOS is released later this year and Safari supports full “desktop browsing”?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I also hope it comes to the browser when iPadOS ships because that would it make me even more portable when working on clients projects. That would be a great addition to Smartsheet features.

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• benolecl
    benolecl ✭✭✭

Any developments as when we could expect a mobile SmartSheet?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I've tried it on iPadOS and it works. Not as on a computer but much better than before.

Have you tried it?

Hope that helps!

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

work-bold

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Still doesn't work.

Does not function at all in my iPad browser. You can load it and enter letters into some visible cells but that's it. Cant even scroll through the sheet at all.

How can this or the app not be fixed after years? Current scenarios mean no access/use of a laptop or desktop so can now not do any work on this.

Crazy

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Jonathan Siddons

It works great for me.

Which browser are you using?

Which iPad?

Which iPadOS version?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

• It seems literally intentionally blocked on iPad. I have a 12.9 iPad Pro with the new Magic Keyboard (with trackpad), and when i launch into smartsheet from safari, it looks great and seems to run incredibly smoothly, but i can’t scroll down!!!

So bizarre, and now seems like a very simple fix. Come on, please!