Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Capturing the Date and Time a Cell in Smartsheet was created or modified?

Options

How can I capture the date and time the associate column in the above image was created and I want it to be in the date column. Thanks.

screenshot.jpg

Comments

• Heidi Decker
    Heidi Decker ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi John,

You can add a column using the "Auto Number/System" column type. It will prompt you for the specific type you are looking for, ie.. Modified Date, Modified By, Created date, or Created By. This will give you the information you are looking for. You can also right click on any cell to view history. It will give you modified by, when and what was modified. Good luck.

Peace!

• John Francis Alita
    edited 09/21/16
    Options

Thanks Heidi. I have tried it already but the "Auto Number/System" is affected by all the changes in a row. For example, when we used the "Created Date" property, what appeared was the date, the first data in the row was made.

What we actually need is a formula wherein the date that will appear in a cell "Date A1.1" is the date the "Associate A1.1" cell was filled in. This information is very vital in our audit, that's why we'd like to see it right away without the need to open the cell history one-by-one.

Nonetheless, thank you for your reply and hopefully you can help us figure the solution.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

John,

The only way to expose this information besides the right-click is via the API.

Craig

• Hi Craig,

I'm interested in how I can use the API to get this data. Can you provide a reference to how I can do this (find the datetime a particular cell was modified, not the whole row) in the API? Thank you!

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Short answer is all I have time for

See API doc for Cell Object and Cell History

https://smartsheet-platform.github.io/api-docs/?python#cells

https://smartsheet-platform.github.io/api-docs/?python#get-cell-history

Longer answer and/or solution requires incentive to ignore other urgent and important things. We are fully booked through Apr 20, 2020.

Craig (craig.williams@ronin-global.com)

This discussion has been closed.