My Smartsheet Wishlist

@CollabMeganPMP
@CollabMeganPMP ✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

I wish, I wish upon a sheet that these will someday be a reality...if some of these are already posted, I apologize... Product team - most, if not all, of these were sent to Scott Willeke verbally or via e-mail so he could lend more context.  These items are some of the things that would make Smartsheet even smoother.

Product Enhancement Visibility and Upvote 

Let us see where our enhancement requests go once they are submitted and allow us to upvote others' ideas.  Would save the product team TONS of time they likely spend reviewing duplicate upon duplicate request.

Move Just CERTAIN Columns

Just like when we move from house to house, we may only want to take certain stuff with us.  Allow the Move Row function to move just certain columns into the destination sheet.

Update Request and Send Row Column "Sets"

Select, save, and reuse sets of columns (with the ability to name and set as default) to send with manual Update Requests and Send Row.  Set it and forget it.

Attachment Tagging

Ability to tag attachments so they can be grouped and sorted within the attachments of a row.  Maybe use part of the description capabilities? #thiswouldbecool

Card View in Reports 

Show report results in Card View to be able to roll up multiple sheets with the benefit of Card View.  Everyone loves Card View so let's spread the love.

Attachment Permissions

Sometimes we want to attach a file to a row, but we don’t want to have everyone that’s shared to the sheet to have access to it.  One workaround is linking to a file that’s stored in an area where we can manage access/permissions (e.g. OneDrive or SharePoint).  We’re making do with it, but would be nice to segregate attachments into segments for different audiences.  We could then select an attachment segment to be associated with a Send Row, Update Request, or automated alert in a template (the same templates we talked about today for selecting specific columns to go with a row alert/send/update request).

Manually Force an Automation

Ability to force an automation without waiting for a trigger to happen.

Ability to Add a Time to a Date

When using the calendar view to manage new hire HR appointments we find the iCal publish feature helpful, but the calendar contents come over in Outlook as all day events.  If we could associate a time with the date and have that flow over into an appointment with a default time block duration (set when setting up the Date/Time column type) that would be superb.  So you would add a column, use the Date/Time column type (which does not yet exist) and then pick the default duration. Tick tock, tick tock.

Report on Cell History

Ever want to do a search on what a cell USED to contain?   Yeah, me too!

Auto-Assignment of Subtasks

When creating a subtask, specifically in Card View, have a prompt that asks if the subtask should auto assign to the parent card’s assignee.

Hide Hidden Columns

Allow for hidden columns to be hidden when using the row or card edit function.  Currently those cards are visible.  To see what I am looking to have happen look at what happens when Print is selected on a row with hidden columns.  The hidden columns are not visible unless you say “Include Hidden Columns”.  This would get rid of a lot of confusion for those that like to use the Edit row or double-click a Card in Card View and are seeing columns they don’t see in the Grid view because they are hidden.

Create Checklists

Be able to create checklists related to a card or row that are not necessarily subtasks.  More so a guidance of steps for a particular task that are not large enough to be considered subtasks (and where using subtasks would leave a lot of rows that have blank cells for each column that does not apply to a small, simple microtask).  We could use additional columns, but that ties us into using the same columns for each row where each row may not have the same microtasks.  We could use attachments linked to SharePoint or OneDrive docs for this, but having it right in the context of the row or card would be ideal. This brought to you by a list lover.

Anyone out there please feel free to comment and add your wishlist items that fit into the theme I am going for here...

Comments

• Signature_Rachel
    edited 10/15/19

Some of these are really good ideas! 

Some really basic ones that I would like to see: 

1. Being able to size / auto-size rows. When you delete some text out of a row it won't auto-size it down to fit the new row. It looks dumb! And with this, a measurement when manually resizing columns so you can make sure they're all the same size, rather than just eyeballing it! 
    2. Ability to freeze rows (can currently only freeze columns)
    3. Waaaay more formatting ability in reports
    4. Merging cells!
    5. History of sent PDF's of reports. I often get replies to my automatically sent reports referring to the data but I can't see what they were sent if the sheet has updated - and I don't want to CC myself into 50 reports that go out on a Monday night! 
    6. The new multi-select option is great, but would be nice if the options would wrap in the cells. 
  • @CollabMeganPMP
    @CollabMeganPMP ✭✭✭✭

You have some great ideas as well!  Thanks for adding to my post!

• Ezra
    Ezra ✭✭✭

Fantastic list!

I'm still hoping for the ability to assign a group of users to a task and have it apply the hours of resourcing equally or weighted to the users..

And the option of using hours instead of percentage for allocation.. No one seems to understand how to enter percentages.

• @CollabMeganPMP
    @CollabMeganPMP ✭✭✭✭

Yes, Ezra!  Me too.  Also, I'd like to be able to assign Joe Administrator a task that I need done sometime between 10/21 and 10/25, but knowing that the task only takes 2 hours he should appear to only be allocated 2 hours during that time frame.  Then, from there, in the tool he can say when he is doing the task (let's say 10 AM 10/23) so he ONLY appears allocated at that time.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

In reference to resizing columns...

You can hold down ctrl and click on different column headers or use shift+click to select multiple columns all at once. While these columns are selected, resizing one will resize all of them. I use this A LOT.

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I second the card view in reports request. 

I'd also love to see SORTING OPTIONS in the AUTOMATION rules list. Aphabetical order makes more sense to me. Having automations jump the newest edit to the top makes it impossible to ensure that several different sheets have all the same automations. We're using over 33 automations in several different sheets and they are a nightmare to keep organized. 

I'd also like the ability to copy automations from one sheet to another. 

• @CollabMeganPMP
    @CollabMeganPMP ✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/16/19

Nice ideas, Mike!! I didn't think about the way automations are sorted, but I like your idea for it!!

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I don't often use card view myself, but the automations sorting as well as the copying from one sheet to another... I would DEFINITELY agree with those.

• Ella
    Ella ✭✭✭✭
  • Ella
    Ella ✭✭✭✭

I would like to be able to send Alerts to Smartsheet Groups! 

• @CollabMeganPMP
    @CollabMeganPMP ✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/16/19

Ella that’s an awesome idea!!  No more alert “send to this person and that person and these people” maintenance..!  Just maintain the group which is probably routine anyway as part of admin tasks (whether that’s you or your admin)!

• @CollabMeganPMP
    @CollabMeganPMP ✭✭✭✭

Ella just made me think of something else!  Use groups in contact lists to assign things at a group level, for example.

• Ella
    Ella ✭✭✭✭

Thank you! It is a pain to go through all alerts and remove people when they leave, then add new people when they join. It will be such a huge time saver if we can just add/remove via the Smartsheet group. 

• @CollabMeganPMP
    @CollabMeganPMP ✭✭✭✭

Another one... the ability to like or dislike comments in Smartsheet!  Just a small way to convey one's opinion or thought on something without having to add a Sounds good, thanks, or I don't like that idea comment.  Keeps the threads lean!

• @CollabMeganPMP
    @CollabMeganPMP ✭✭✭✭

Just came across this need:  say I set a status of an issue to Resolved.  Would be really, really nice to have a field next to that status that auto populates the date that the Resolved status was selected.  Can't really go by a system column of Modified (date) as there are other cells that could get changed by other operations still in play in that row.  For instance there is another column that stores the approval of the Resolved status (via an automated workflow that asks for an approval or denial of the Resolved status).  When the approval value is stored there that updates the Modified column so it's no longer set to the date that the item was modified to set the Resolved status.