Automation - Request Update

Sandra Dye
Sandra Dye ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi. I'm looking for help troubleshooting an issue I"m having with Automation in smartsheet. 

I set up a recurring request for updates to run each Friday at 8:00 AM PST to all Assigned To users in the sheet. 

The problem I'm having is my request automatically includes a form I created for project intake. 

I do not want the form attached to the request. 

How do I fix this? 

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! 

UpdateRequestCapture.PNG

UpdateRequestMsg.PNG

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Sandra,

Unfortunately, it's not possible at the moment to remove it, but it's an excellent idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

Hope that helps!

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

work-bold

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Ella
    Ella ✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/17/19

Hi, I guess I don't understand why you would want to remove the "Open Update Form" button from an Update Request. Don't the Assigned to people use it to update the projects so that they don't log into Smartsheet?

If you don't want them to use this functionality, set the alert as Alert or Reminder not Update Request. 

• Ella,

The form it is grabbing is my project intake form, it is not a update form. Smartsheet just named the button to access the form Update Form. I never intended to capture updates in a form. The intent is to ask Assignees to add a comment to their project.  I will try using a reminder instead to see if that solves my problem. thank you. 

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'd still recommend using the Update Request because then the Assignees can add the comment more quickly. They'd click the link to open the request and add the comment.

Make sense?

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Ella
    Ella ✭✭✭✭

Hi Sandra, the Update Request is essentially an Update Form. When you set up the Update Request you have the ability to pick which columns to be visible and send for an update and these would be the columns appearing once your Assignees click on "Open Update Form". You can pick the comments field only and the Project Name for example. Most likely since you have not done so, they are getting your full original intake form. I hope this helps. 

• Sandra,

That "Open Update Form" button should only open the update request you configured. There is no circumstance in which it should find another form to open. If you're seeing that set up time with me using this link and we'll get on a screen sharing session and get it figured out.

Update Request definitely seems like the right tool for the job here. I think what you want is to us an Update Request and configure it to only show the Comments field. You have to show at least one other field for context so I suggest the primary column. More information about configuring the fields shown on a request is in the following help article: https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/2479256-customize-the-content-of-your-alerts-and-requests

Please stay in touch until we get this figured out!

Scott Willeke

Director of Product Management

Smartsheet