HELP - Enabling CAPTCHA on a Form

Sara@Peer Seattle
Sara@Peer Seattle ✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

I have a business critical form that's getting spoofed (500+ entries in ~3hrs) and am trying to enable CAPTCHA but I can't seem to get it on the form. 

Here's what I've done using Edge and Firefox:

Edit form > Form Options > Checked 'Enable challenge/response for additional security'

Comments

• @ChristaMatson
    @ChristaMatson Employee
    edited 11/03/19

Hi Sara!  The Captcha runs in the background (vs requiring a user to type a code within a dialog box.)  See screenshot.

Capture_6.JPG

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It is an "invisible reCAPTCHA for additional security".

Based on that verbiage, I wouldn't expect to actually see it with a checkbox or anything anywhere on the form itself.

I am not sure exactly how it works if it doesn't require some sort of human interaction, but it seems as if SS uses something that works in the background to help cut back on spoofing.

• How bizarre, I've given it almost 2 hours and I haven't received any bogus entries. Guess it's working.

Thanks for your guidance @Paul Newcome! 

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure how it works, but at least it works. Haha.

Happy to help! yes

• Hi Sara,

I can confirm that forms are currently integrated with Google's invisible recaptcha tool and if you have checked the "enable challenge/response for additional security" checkbox in the form builder your form will be protected by it.  Invisible recaptcha only prompts the user with a challenge if it suspects that they are a bot/malicious user.  Otherwise, if recaptcha believes you are a human the only indication you'd see that the process is running in the background, is at the bottom of the form in the footer you'll see "This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply."

As long as you're seeing that footer on the bottom of the form then you should be protected from automated submissions.  It sounds like you're all set but if for some reason you're still seeing problems please don't hesitate to follow up!