Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Auto Refresh Data?

Jon Brown
Jon Brown ✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

I have developed a web form for a sheet I am using to collect production data from our production lines.

I am then using a smartsheet sights to display production data on a dashboard I have published.

I may be wrong, but I think the sheet that the data is being sent to needs to be manually refreshed so that the sight will be continuously up to date?

Is there a way to automate the refresh function?

Thanks

Jon

Comments

• Laura
    Laura ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Jon,

This is exactly what I did recently. (web form - production lines - display screen)

I installed an AutoRefresh extension through Google Chrome (or whatever youre using) and so far it seems to work perfectly! 

• Laura, thanks for the tip!  I also submitted an enhancement request to add this functionality to Smartsheet. 

Enhancement Request: Auto-Refresh Functionality

https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/enhancement-request-auto-refresh-functionality

• Colin Entrekin
    Colin Entrekin ✭✭✭✭

Yeah, this is a very annoying oversight, and I truly despise workarounds; though, I also thank you for the tip, Laura. :)

Smartsheet, please add my vote to this feature request.

How is it possible to have a functioning dashboard without sheets that are smart enough to keep updating daily (at a minimum), or, better yet, at preset intervals?

• I just noticed this thread and wanted to point out that Smartsheet Dashboards do now automatically refresh. Please see "Configure How Often a Dashboard Automatically Refreshes" at https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/2289957-sharing-a-smartsheet-sight

• Hi Scott, I understand the Dashboard refreshes automatically, but what about the source data sheets? 

I have grids that pull from other sheets and feed data to the Dashboards.  These grids contain a myriad of formulas that need to be refreshed in order to feed accurate, up to date information to my Dashboards. 

Since some of these sheets are automatically emailed out each morning, how do I ensure my source data sheets are updating when I am not logged into Smartsheet (ex. over night when my laptop is off)? 

• Hello Everyone - Just wondering if you were able to find a workaround to have the auto refresh feature for the source data sheet. I'm encountering an issue in triggering automated reminders that's based on a column "Current Date" which is formula driven. Unless I have the auto refresh enabled, I might have to think of some other means.

Appreciate your inputs !

With Regards

Sriram

• I have found a workaround to this auto refresh issue. 

I created a free account with Zapier and connected my Smartsheet account.  I created a new sheet which I named "Refresh" and programmed Zapier to edit one cell in that sheet with a current time and date stamp each morning around 3am. 

Next I created a hidden column in each sheet that needs to be auto refreshed and used cell-linking to pull the time and date stamp from my "Refresh" sheet.  This way I only have one zap coming over from Zapier and cell linking flows that data to all sheets I have linked.  Since it is getting a current time and date stamp, Smartsheet sees this as data being changed and saves the changes to the sheet...Thus causing a refresh.  Since making this change, my reports that are emailed automatically each morning at 5am have had today's accurate information, instead of yesterday's old numbers.  

I'm still not sure why Smartsheet can't handle this type of functionality in-house.  It's unfortunate that I have to use a third party (Zapier) to force the refresh.  

I would not recommend using a browser extension to accomplish this, as many of the extensions I have researched seem to be laced with viruses or spyware.  

I hope this helps some of you!

Jonathan

• Zach B
    Zach B ✭✭✭

I have this same issue. Is there any update coming to smartsheet to have source data sheets update automatically so that formulas can update without the user actually going into the sheet?

• Hi Jonathan,

I totally agree with you !

Did you already submit a Product Enhancement Request?

• As users have mentioned below, this appears to be a useless enhancement if the underlying data is not being automatically refreshed, as well.

• 2019 and we still do not have an auto re-fresh data?

• jg124
    jg124 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have tried this method and timestamp has updated in cell but =TODAY() formula for sheet has not refreshed. Any ideas?

• tcer
    tcer ✭✭✭

I used a similar solution to Jonathan, leveraging the cell link update from a central sheet which touches every other sheet and forces formula refresh in those sheets.  Only difference is that I didnt use Zapier to hit the central sheet, and instead also put a TODAY() formula in a new column (that i then hid) on each sheet where the central sheet feeds a date to.  Then on the central sheet, link back to the TODAY date field on each individual sheet.  This assures that once a day, whichever sheet is touched first (central sheet or any other sheet) cell linking triggers and forces updates and formula refresh on every sheet.

would really like some better way to refresh sheets periodically.  This is all to make sure reports and dashboards have accurate information.

• Hi Jonathan & thanks for publishing this workaround.

I just register to Zapier and i'm don't completely understand how:

- Programming Zapier to edit one cell in created sheet (the one you called "Refresh")

- Timing it to be done every 3am

I'm really thanks for your answer here since i working on complicate sheet and this refresh workaround is the only thing left to publishing it.

My mail is Sahar_asis@amat.com in case need some images or something that not allowed on this community platform.

Thanks you again for this workaround, hopping you'll be able to answer it

Regards

Sahar Assis

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Sahar,

Have you solved this or do you still need help?

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

work-bold

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

This discussion has been closed.