Unexpected movement of rows

E Sa
E Sa
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello,

A sudden shift of rows happened while using smartsheet. The detail is as follows:

Three people worked on a same spreadsheet. One was changing the arrangement of rows, such as shifting row 2 below to row 5, while other two were inputing data in some cells. Then, suddenly some data appeared in rows where no one input any data or move rows to. And it turns out that the data that suddenly showed up was the data which had exsisted in other rows, that is  we didn't move the data but the data move to other cells on its own.

Does anyone know what is going on here? The good thing is no data hasn't been lost. It was just an unexpected movement of rows. I would appreciat it if someone could help me with this.

Comments

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi,

It sounds like what may have happened is a "merge-save", where the sheet automatically saved and combined information because multiple people had made changes at the same time without saving in between each change. I would recommend that if you are working with multiple collaborators, save often and refresh the sheet as soon as you are prompted.

If you do both of these, you shouldn’t have any issues when working with other users. The only issue would be if you both edit the same cell, who ever saves second will have their data displayed in the cell but you can right click on the cell and select View History to see all changes that were made to the cell. 

You can read more about working with multiple people in the same sheet here.

• Hello, Penny,

I am sorry for my late reply. I greatly appreceiate your replay and advise. 

That would help us a lot!

This is out of curiosity, but is there any possibility of the same thing happening when enlarging or zooming out the spreadsheet? The reason why I ask this is because when I zoom in or out, the warning "Your browser's zoom setting is not fully supported. Please press ... to reset it to 100%." pops out. Is there any possibility that these zooming in and out operations might affect the operation of smartsheet such as the sudden appearance of data in an unexpected row as explained above?

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hello again,

No, zooming in and out would not change what row data is located in. You may experience some row misalignment if you are zoomed out further than 90%, but the data in each row will stay within its row. You are changing how the data is viewed, not where it is located. 

To read more about zoom settings and Smartsheet, please see our Help Center article, here: https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/506736-browser-zoom

• Hello Penny again,

Thank you for your replay. Now I understand!

I appreciate your help!