Select a user defined value for a default in a form

Michael Gerdes
Michael Gerdes ✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

Hi, I have an inventory sheet where users are putting products in a box, the user would like to minimize the number of clicks as they are moving large number of products a day but these products will go into several boxes. is there a way to have a form look at a value the user maintained in a table, (box number), then have the users use a form to read barcodes off the products (where each entry into a form would be a record (record = a product barcode), and when the form is submitted, the box field would then check the value which the user maintained in that table and "hard write" that value (box number) to the field (which defines the box which the product was placed ) when the record is created in the main table?

Hope this makes sense... 

I want to have a form where the users can enter more than one record at a time with the Box number on the form.. so that essentially when you submit the form, the total number of barcodes read would be assigned to that one box.. but from what I understand you can not do that.. so I am trying to see what can be done to mimic the capability in some way..

Products need to be at the record level as there are certain track and traceability and reporting pieces which are needed which reflects the design.

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Michael,

Interesting!

I think this can be accomplished!

Can you describe your process in even more detail and maybe share the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

work-bold

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Michael

The only way you are going to achieve the results you seek and it be smooth and efficient for the user, is by Using Appsheet as the interface, while maintaining the data in smartsheet for the results of the form to drive actions needed as a result of. 

If you are not yet familiar with Appsheet working alongside Smartsheet then we can show you some great examples and give you a quote for creating that app, then hand it over to you for ongoing improvements. 

The main benefit of using Appsheet is when you need complex conditional Logic (if this then that and then the other type of entry). It is friendly to any smart device, works offline for later sync and just makes the whole user experience a pleasant one. (also works with a mix of Data held in Excel, Google sheets, SQL or MysQL) 

More info here https://www.smarterbusinessprocesses.com/appsheet/

We offer a free consultation and quotation. 

Let me know if you wish to discuss further? 

richardr@smarterbusinessprocesses.com 

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!