Can I default cell values to a formula in the form without getting a ' in front?

I have a form entry sheet where I have some columns hidden but defaulting to a formula. The goal is to have the columns populate with the results of the formulas without any updates required (like cutting and pasting the formula in the grid). It works but a ' is inserted so the cell does not calculate and requires someone to remove the '. Is there a way to eliminate the '?

Also, sometimes the new row is added about 6 rows down from my last row. How can I get it to always add to the next blank row?

Thanks!

Suzanne

Best Answers

Answers

• Thanks Andree,

The blank rows seem to be the rows that get generated at the bottom of a smartsheet when you populate many rows (like drag and drop). Sometimes an additional few lines are added below... I think it is related to that? It sometimes doesn't have blanks before a new form line entry. It's random.

I am not sure I understand about having the formula on the above lines. If I do that, it inserts the new line with nothing in the formula columns. I need to cut and paste the formula in afterwards. I think the user is going to have an issue with that.

If the screenshots below are not enough, I can share sheet, let me know. i just used the form to add the Whole Foods line. This time no blanks were inserted. You can see the formulas as text.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help!

Here's more information about the Formula Autofill:

I'd be happy to take a look if you want to share it with me.

Happy New Year!

Did my post help answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Thanks Andree, I'd like to share it with you so you can take a look. How do I do that? Your name is not an option when I click share.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Input my email address and it will work. Share to andree@getdone.se

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Ok great, I have shared it. Thank you.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks!

I'll take a look and get back to you!

• Andree,

I have the same problem! I am curious how you guys ended up resolving this issue? I am also using hidden fields in a form to "auto-populate" equations in two different columns. I am also getting the ' in front of the equation once the form is submitted. The form submissions (project requests) land at the top of the page and then our graphic designer drags the projects into different parent rows based on priority or project status. There are not always two or more rows above or below the form submission with the formula and the same pattern.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Katie

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!