Formula to use to count multiple choice answers in a column by answers

I'm trying to figure out the right formula to use to count multiple choices answers in one column in my sheet. I'm hoping to have this information roll up into a dashboard. But, for the cells that have multiple boxes/answers checked, it is only counting the first answer, not the others. Any suggestions?

Best Answer

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Susanne,

Do you want to count how many choices they selected or the total of each choice?

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some more screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• @Andrée Starå No problem. I just shared copies of those sheets with you so you can see what I'm trying to do. I explained in the share message that we hosted an employee satisfaction survey through a SS form. The first sheet is the survey results/answers. I've created a second sheet to tally up the answers to rollup into a Dashboard with charts of the results. The multiple answer columns on the first sheet are not being tallied accurately in the second sheet. Only the first answer listed in the cell is being counted, not the other multiple answers. Hope that makes sense. Feel free to email with any questions! Appreciate the help!

Susanne

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!