Using COUNTIF to determine dept. but excluding projects that are HOLD Status

I can't figure out how to do this formula and I've been searching for it in community.

I've tried the following:

=COUNTIFS(Portfolio Rollups Range 1, "Corp IT",AND({Portfolio Rollups Range 8},="In Progress",{Portfolio Rollups Range 8},="Complete")

This one returns unparsable

=COUNTIFS({Portfolio Rollups Range 4}, "Yellow", {Portfolio Rollups Range 8}, "In Progress", {Portfolio Rollups Range 8}, "Completed", {Portfolio Rollups Range 1}, "Commercial Ops")

Returns a value but the value is incorrect.

Answers

• Sorry that second formula is looking for projects matching specific Dept and with a Health of X but not if the Status = Hold so slightly different criteria.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi Shawn,

For your first formula, it looks like your first range is missing its reference...these guys { }

Make sure that you're actually selecting the "Reference Another Sheet" blue prompt to find the column in the other sheet, instead of typing it in.

It also looks like you might want to use the OR function to return if the column referenced in Range 8 is either "In Progress" or "Completed".

Try this:

=COUNTIFS({Portfolio Rollups Range 1}, "Corp IT", {Portfolio Rollups Range 8}, OR(@cell = "In Progress", @cell = "Complete"))

If this doesn't work, it would be helpful to see a screen capture with this formula open in your sheet, along with a screen capture of the sheet it's referencing (confirming which range references which column).

I'm also not sure if you're looking to do something different with your second formula, or if this was a different way of trying to return the same result, so let me know if you still require help with this one, too!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!