Backups/Excel export

Jose da Silva
Jose da Silva ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi all,

Would it be possible to backup/export a spreadsheet on a scheduled basis more often than daily?

One of the Departments on my company asked if it would be possible to do it hourly or even every 10min, but the smallest period i can find is daily...

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Jose,

This might help:

https://www.smartsheet.com/apps/smartsheet-org-wide-backup

Would that work?

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• mattc
    mattc ✭✭✭

Smartsheet needs to support a backup with user-selectable backup frequency and have provisions to restore from backup.  This is pretty basic stuff.  I have seen similar requests going back to 2015 and no real action in this regard other than the forum (auto)closing some old discussions.

• Bee Ng
    Bee Ng ✭✭✭

Hi @Jose da Silva ,

Not sure if you found what you needed, but if you are using the standard backup solution, you may have discovered that it lacks certain functionality, and has some limitations. For example, the backups are all in Excel format, and you lose a lot of sheet information. Also, there is no way to schedule a recurring daily backup, etc.

If you need more than that, then you may want to check out SmartBackup from AcuWorkflow. SmartBackup creates full-fidelity backups of your sheets, including all data, formatting, cell links, formulas, attachments, comments, forms, and automation rules, etc. This means you can easily restore any of these sheet elements, and you are not limited to when you can take backups - you can schedule daily, weekly, monthly, yearly, or any frequency - and you can choose to backup all your sheets, or only recently changed sheets.

And specifically SmartBackup does not have a limitation on the frequency of backups. You can schedule the backups, archive, or exports to run anytime or at any frequency. The only limitation will be the amount of time it takes to create each backup of course.

It also includes an Archive function, and an Export function - these save copies to your local drive, but go further than the standard backup function, and allow you to export attachments as well, etc.

You can download the free Starter Edition to test and evaluate, or you can purchase the full Business Edition here:

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bee