I want to do a serial IF this then that formula across more than one column. Please help!

My =IF(Child@row="Name1", "Parent1") and it worked to bring the Parent name into the @row, but I am trying to also add a few other Child/Parent combos into it as well. For example,

In the Parent Column, I want to combine =IF(Child@row="Name1", "Parent1"), OR =IF(Child@row="Name2", "Parent2"), OR =IF(Child@row="Name3", "Parent3"), etc.

I also want to add other functions like, =IF(Child@row="Name1", "Sibling1" in the Sibling@row ... Is this possible? If so, how can I combine these? I want one huge formula to copy down the column so the other columns are automatically filled out when I select the child.

Thanks in advance!

Answers

• You could combine if statements by doing =IF(Child@row="Name1", "Parent1", IF(Child@row="Name2", "Parent2", IF(Child@row="Name3", "Parent3", ""))).

Instead I recommend using a Vlookup function, it would be something like =Vlookup(Child@row, (selected the table with all the parent/child info), 2, false)

Basically it will look up the "Child" name in the Table that you select and the output would come from the column you select in the table(2 in my example). You could use this formula for the Siblings or any other data you have as well.

Regards,

Josh

• Hi Josh,

Thanks for answering. The first example you provided worked! I would love to learn about the second example, but am not quite catching it. If I select, Child@row then highlight the row with columns that I would like copied over, it still does not copy it over. I think I am missing what the number and the "false" are doing?

• Okay, I have figured out the number and the false... but still now luck on getting multiple columns in one row to auto-populate when I put the child's name into the row.

For example, this works to auto-populate the one column that I put this formula in:

=IF(Child@row = "Name1", "Service1", IF(Child@row = "Child1", "Service2", IF(Child@row = "Child3", "Service3")))

But is there a way to have the Name, Service, Parent, Cost all auto-populate when I put the child's name into the row?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Sue Crawford (admin)

Hi Sue,

Not sure I follow!

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

✅Did my post help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi Andree,

I managed to find a work around! Thanks for your response!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/16/20

@Sue Crawford (admin)

Excellent!

Happy to help!

Glad to hear that you solved it!

How did you solve it?

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!