Automate sheet creation

Can I use automation to trigger the creation of a new sheet? Here's the situation. I have a form that adds a new row to a sheet. I would like to evaluate the primary key's value against what already exists in sheet and do one of two things: if the value already exists add the row to the existing sheet for that primary key's value. If the value is new, create a sheet (based on a template) with the new value and add the row.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Michael,

The third-party service, Zapier, could be an excellent option for this scenario. Is that an option for you?

There are limitations so the sheet can't include automations and more.

Would that work?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

✅Did my post help answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Thanks Andrée,

Not sure if this would be a solution. Seems I'm jumping down a deep rabbit hole, that I don't think Smartsheet can handle.

Michael

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help!

If it would work depends on the specifics. I've had success with the process with other clients that had the need.

Can you tell me more about the process?

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Thanks Andrée,

We have an existing process, that utilizes MS Excel macros which trigger a MS Word template to generate summary reports. The process was developed several years ago, and functions OK but it is very finicky. If one thing is out of place, all the reports go haywire. Moreover if a change is made, all the report data needs to be reprocessed.

Each row of the spread sheet is an issue, based on a machine name. Machine 1 could have 10 issues (10 rows in the excel spreadsheet), machine 2 could have 50 issues(50 rows in the excel spreadsheet), machine 3 could have 2 issues(2 rows in the excel spreadsheet), etc. When triggered to run, a separate Word document for each machine is generated. It consists of a summary (how many issues for the given machine and their severity; OFI, Caution, Critical) and then detailed description of each issue with a photo capturing the issue displayed next to the issue# and detailed description.

Not sure if such a process could be duplicated in Smartsheet and what it would look like. I'm evaluating Smartsheet,I've used it in the past, and it's a great collaboration tool, but I don't see how it could be utilized to run dynamically against a set of data entries in a sheet.

I appreciate your insight.

Michael

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'm always happy to help!

I think it could work with another third-party solution that integrates with Smartsheet. I need to get a better understanding of how it looks.

Can you maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) / word documents or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

• Michael Stavropoulos
    edited 03/02/20

Hi Andrée and thanks for your help. Perhaps it makes sense to have a conversation? maybe I can screen share what we're doing to give you a better sense of what's going on. I'm interested in learning more, but at the same time I don't want to reinvent the wheel. Our process works now, perhaps not the most efficient, but it does work. After digging into Smartsheet a bit more, I'm finding that running routines against conditional looks might not be its strong point. Having to incorporate third-party solutions seems to be defeating the purpose, but I'm happy to learn more.

If you can give me a time that works for you, I will schedule a call.

Thanks,

Michael

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/02/20

You're more than welcome!

Yes, that makes sense!

Please e-mail me at andree@workbold.com and well take it from there.

• Good day,

I just sent you a Team invite.

• Creed
    Creed ✭✭

Its crazy to me that we need a third party application to automate the creation of a smartsheet in smartsheets...that already has automation processes.

has there been any updates to this?