How do I copy and paste hyperlinks from Excel?

I have a spreadsheet of bug numbers linked to the bug database. Why can’t I copy and paste from excel to smartsheet retaining the hyperlinks? Seems like a feature smartsheet would have!

Tags:

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Beatea,

It should work. What happens when you try and copy and paste?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• beatea
    beatea ✭✭

I have a bunch of hyperlinks exported to excel. When I paste those entries into smartsheet they paste as text only

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Strange!

Can you paste the links or share the Excel sheet?

(Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• I found a workaround for the copy hyperlinks from excel to smartsheet problem.

1. Import the Excel spreadsheet into Smartsheet
    2. Select the rows in the imported smartsheet with the hyperlinks you want to copy
    3. RMB then move the rows from the imported smartsheet to the destination smartsheet

Hyperlinks are preserved.

A bit clunky but it works.

• Fitz
    Fitz ✭✭

@Andrew Detolla I had to do a couple of extra things to make your suggestion work...

1) Imported the spreadsheet with my hyperlinks - tried copying and pasting, but again, only got the text, not the hyperlinks.

2) I created links from the cell in my existing smartsheet to the cells in my imported smartsheet. Since you can select all the cells in one go to create the links, this allowed me to do my whole column in one action.

3) Deleted the imported sheet that I no longer needed.

4) Selected all the linked cells and selected "Remove Link".

This kept the cells formatted as I wanted them and maintained the hyperlink, but removed the imported sheet that I no longer needed.

Since I have 4 smartsheets linking to several thousand drawings each, this activity means I can get the links set up for my entire project in a couple of hours, instead of not doing it at all because I don't have several days to paste thousands of individual links.

So thank yo Mr. Detolla! I look like a hero now to a couple of people who really wanted these links!!!!