Cross reference sheets on email addresses

Hello,

Looking for formula help. I have a master Smartsheet with email addresses and a second Smartsheet with a form that will populate with email addresses entered by the user, so they may not be entered 100% correctly (fuzzy lookup?). I would like to use a cell to check against the master Smartsheet to see if the user has completed the form.

My first column in my master sheet would be first and last name and the second column would be email. Likewise my second sheet "tracker" would also be the same 2 columns. In excel I was able to use the following =IF(B2=Tracker!B2,"Yes","No") and was able to obtain a result, but not in Smartsheet. What is the correct syntax in Smartsheet?

Thanks!

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi Dedrick,

You could potentially build in an IF(MATCH statement to look and see if there's a Match between your two sheets. I would also add in an IFERROR function around it, because if there isn't a match you will get the error #NO MATCH (instead of having a nice "No" returned).

Try this:

=IFERROR(IF(MATCH([Name Column]@row, {Name Column in Form Sheet}, 0), "Yes"), "No")

Here are the Help Center articles I used to create this: Cross Sheet Formulas / @row function / MATCH function / IF function / IFERROR function

If this doesn't work, it would be useful to see a screen capture of each sheet (please block out any sensitive data).

Cheers!

Genevieve

• Thank you for the formula Genevieve. I used your formula =IFERROR(IF(MATCH([Name Column]@row, {Name Column in Form Sheet}, 0), "Yes"), "No")

However, I got a no for all results. Although I know I have matches. Do I need to change the columns from contacts to text? Is there something else that I'm missing?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/14/20

@Dedrick Tai

Hi Dedrick,

Can you maybe share some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

✅Did my post help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi Dedrick,

I agree, screen captures may help!

The contact columns can either both be just text columns or both be Contact List columns. As long as they are the same, the formula should be able to read the matches.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!