Changing the colours assigned to various groups in the Calender App

JessMK
JessMK ✭✭
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

Hello,

I want each name to have a different colour in the Calender App. I can select "Color by Column" and it works but I find the automatically chosen colours to be garish and I would like to set my own. However, the option to change the colour does not appear on the right (see picture)

I have another column where this possible. I read that it is only possible when the column is a dropdown column. Unfortunately, I use a contacts cell for one column and then my Column "Name" is a formula. Making this a dropdown column will be extremely time consuming.

Why if I can colour by column (and it works), can't I decided who gets which colour?

Best Answer

• JessMK
    JessMK ✭✭
    Answer ✓

I reached out to Smartsheet Support and received a long answer which included this,

"The Smartsheet application doesn't currently support the functionality to choose a custom colour for anything but a dropdown column when the source is a report. "

That pretty much explains why I have the problem I do. I just which this had been stated in publicly available information

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @JessMK

Could you navigate a bit further back in the settings and go to the tab that says "Map Columns" and take a picture? The colours should be customizable based on what you have selected your Data Grouping to be.

You can group data by columns other than drop-down columns - both a contact list column or formula column should work, as the colour can be based on the value. (See the section under "Map Columns" in this Help Center article, here.)

• JessMK
    JessMK ✭✭

I read this in the article link in your message "Under Data Grouping, select any category or subcategory groupings that you’d like to use to make the items that appear on the the calendar show up as specific collections—these groups will appear on the left side of the calendar and will drive the color coding in your calendar."

This doesn't work for me at all as you can see in the pictures.

I went and checked it for all my columns and the only column that does allow me to change the colours in "Map Columns" is one with a drop down option.

Thanks for your help :)

• Alejandra
    Alejandra Employee

Hello @JessMK,

I also experience this behavior, but with blank columns. If the column Name2 is blank, try adding data in the column to see if that changes the behavior.

• JessMK
    JessMK ✭✭

Hi Alejandra,

Thanks for your suggestion. The column is not blank and when I select colour by Name2 it does it perfectly. The only step that's missing is being able to decide which colours are used (I want it to be identical across all the different technologies we use. e.g. Person 1 is always red and I want to set their colour in the calender to be red but it automatically is dark blue).

Thank you

• Genevieve P.

Hi @JessMK

At this point I would suggest reaching out to Smartsheet Support (here) if you haven't already, so they can troubleshoot with you directly. It sounds like a screen-share with Support may be a good way to figure out what's going on.

• JessMK
    JessMK ✭✭
    Answer ✓

I reached out to Smartsheet Support and received a long answer which included this,

"The Smartsheet application doesn't currently support the functionality to choose a custom colour for anything but a dropdown column when the source is a report. "

That pretty much explains why I have the problem I do. I just which this had been stated in publicly available information

• Genevieve P.

Oh the source is a Report!

Thank you for letting us know and for posting the result so other users with the same question have an answer. I've made your note the Accepted Answer so it will hopefully be easy to find.

I've also submitted feedback on that Help Center article requesting this detail be made clear. (There's a link at the bottom of all our Help Center articles that asks if it was helpful, and if not, gives the ability to provide feedback.)

Thanks,

Genevieve