Chart budget vs actual

Hello, I have a sheet where I can see budget, actual and variance for my project budget. So column 1 is january budget, column 2 january actual and column 3 january variance, and so on.

All I want to is to create a line-type chart for my dashboard where I can see the comparison between the budget and actual numbers for every month, instead of seeing this for every line or account. So, one graph where x axis is months and y axis is amounts, one line is showing budget and other line is showing actuals. I have not found a way to do so, because reports don´t let me select the columns I want to use for the graph; budget columns are separated, actual columns and variance columns separated as well.

thanks for any help.

Answers

• Debbie Sawyer
    Debbie Sawyer ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Laura

Have you considered adjusting the way you are storing your data at all? If you had a column for Budgetted Amount, a column for Actual Amount and a column for Variance then a Column for a date then this would be easier to solve for you.

You could then set up some summary fields to SUM the Budgeted Amounts column for January and Actuals for Jan, then another two summaries for February etc and use a Summary report to feed the required data into a chart.

(I would lay this out in a couple of helper columns myself though - to make it easier to feed to the chart widget)

I would be more than happy to connect with you via Zoom to show you how to achieve this if that is useful? (FOC)

Kind regards

​Debbie Sawyer Consultant & Training Manager

• Laura Corredor
    edited 03/25/20

Yes please that would be very useful, possibly tomorrow afternoon? I had set up a test sheet and a test dashboard to show you. Thanks

• Hello,

I'm curious if you got this put together. I'm trying to do the exact same thing! I've come up with a few different ideas of how to do it but I think they are over complicated.

Thanks!

• Debbie Sawyer
    Debbie Sawyer ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Laura Corredor & @Nico Cantarero

Firstly Laura I am so sorry I never saw your response asking for a zoom. For some reason I must have missed the notification - please accept my apologies here; I never knowingly ignore people!

I would still be happy to run a zoom with you both to see if we can get this sorted for you if it is still an issue. If you don't get a response from me on this thread, please do look at my profile as my email address is there and I don't usually miss those!

So sorry Laura.

Kind regards

Debbie

• Hello, I have not had the chance to look at this problem yet. So I´d be happy to have a meeting for your help. Thank you very much!