Deleting a User

Options

Why is it when I delete a user that they are still included in Workflows? Wouldn't it make sense that if a user is deleted, that they be deleted from everywhere in Smartsheet? Why must I manually remove that person from every workflow in every sheet they were included?

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Workflows have to be treated separately so that non-users can be included in them. To be able to remove someone from a workflow just because they have been removed as a user, you would need to restrict workflows to only include users. I hope that makes sense...

• Kenyon Bajus
    Kenyon Bajus ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Makes sense, but when I am deleting a user, I do not want them to have access to any sheet and become completely erased from the account.

There should be an option when deleting a user to also remove that user from workflows. So when you delete a user, you remove that user from every bit of your Smartsheet account- sheets, groups, workflows, everything.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Having it as an option would definitely be a great idea. That way workflows could be kept separate from users but you would still have the option to quickly remove them from everything. I suggest filling out a Product Enhancement Request when you have a chance. Basically something that pops up when you delete a user that would give you the option to search various aspects of every sheet/report/dashboard in your account and remove the user from workflows/assigned to columns (separate selections in case you needed to maintain historical data on archived projects).

• Kenyon Bajus
    Kenyon Bajus ✭✭✭✭
    Options

done.

this would also prevent all those annoying emails that come through after you delete a user and dont remove from workflows, and then hav to go into each sheet one by one to remove. How tedious.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

At least those emails can serve as a sort of checklist to help you keep the tedium organized. Hahaha. I know the struggle though.

• Kenyon Bajus
    Kenyon Bajus ✭✭✭✭
    Options

lol. that's the only thing they're good for.

• Angie Hatfield
    Angie Hatfield ✭✭✭✭
    Options

A list of all the work flows/automation that they are included in would be helpful. Then it could be done at once instead of waiting on the emails. I have too many sheets to wait on those emails.

• EAllen
    EAllen ✭✭
    Options

I have found that if you set up an assignee column and a contacts list you can add the formula to the column that will pull directly from the contacts list. That way if you have to remove or replace a user for specific departments, such as purchasing or HR you can delete the user and replace the name in the contacts list and it will automatically update in any existing documents.