Workflow question

Anirban Roy
Anirban Roy ✭✭
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

Hello Experts

I have a requirement where I need to create new row in child sheet if new rows are added in the master sheet.

I also have the requirement that if any of the fields gets changed in the master sheet that should be reflected in child sheet.

Is it achievable using workflow?

Thanks for your help.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Anirban,

Yes, it is. We’d use cross-sheet formulas and VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH combination to collect the information in the different sheets.

Do you have something that we could use a unique ID?

Would that work?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

I haven't forgotten about the other question. I'll get back to you soon on that. 

😉

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

✅Did my post help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer! 

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi Andree

Thanks for the quick reply.

You mean to say that I will have a workflow to copy the newly created rows in the master sheet to child sheet. (Requirement 1)

Then on the child sheet I need to use VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH combination for each of the column(I have around 20 columns) to ensure that whenever there is a change of an existing row in the master sheet that also gets reflected in the child sheet. (Requirement 2)

Is it really so complex? I was thinking the requirement is pretty straight forward and can be easily achievable using workflow alone.

By the way I dont have one unique id but combination of 4 columns can make a unique combination.

Hope this helps.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help!

1. Yes, or use cell-linking instead if that would work. That would solve Req. 2 as well, but it depends on the process as a whole if it would work or not.

Make sense?

Can you describe the process in more detail? There might be another way to structure it.

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi

Thanks for the suggestion, however cell linking would not work since the number of cells I need to link is more than 5000.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Ok.

Then it's the cross-sheet formula solution that is required it seems.

Would that work?

• Hi Andree

Thanks for your reply.

Coming back to my previous question then -->

You mean to say that I will have a workflow to copy the newly created rows in the master sheet to child sheet. (Requirement 1)

Then on the child sheet I need to use VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH combination for each of the column(I have around 20 columns) to ensure that whenever there is a change of an existing row in the master sheet that also gets reflected in the child sheet. (Requirement 2)

Thanks for your reply.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help!

Yes, if I do not misunderstand anything, that is what's needed.