Error message with Data Uploader

Hello,

I have a workflow in Data Uploader which uses an excel sheet attached to 1 sheet as the source file, and the targeted action is to update the dropdowns on a column on a second sheet. There are no filters and just one simple mapping between the source column and the target column. I have the targeted column formatted as a dropdown.

I keep getting this error message

I have tried partially filling in some dropdown values and leaving them black and the error happens in both scenarios. The strange thing is the first few times I tried, it worked. Then I tried changing the source column to a different column, and now it's not working. I then tried just starting from scratch and using fresh sheets and attachment, and it's still giving me the same error message. What does this error message mean and what could be causing it?

Tags:

Answers

• I am getting the same error and haven't figured it out....reduced the spreadsheet importing to 2 rows - one row of headings; one row of data - still getting the error. I have NO idea what is cause.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Julia Peterson & @Jean Potillo

If you haven’t already, I would recommend that you reach out to the Smartsheet Support Team. Smartsheet Support Team

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

✅Did my post help answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭

For others receiving the same error...

I received the same error when I used a single excel worksheet with three columns of varying data to try to update three different dropdown columns in smartsheet. In my case, my three excel columns contained different amounts of data.

I had each excel column appropriately mapped to the correct smartsheet column but the Data Uploader routine failed with the same error listed above.

I then moved each excel column to it's own sheet (tab) in the workbook and set up a data uploader workflow for each column, all triggered by the same workbook. My errors ceased. I can only assume smartsheet was somehow balking at the unequal lengths of columns in excel, even though the data was completely independent to each other.

cheers,

Kelly

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Kelly,

@KDM

Glad you got it working and thanks for sharing!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Mary_A
    Mary_A ✭✭✭✭✭✭

So, I just had a long convo with Wilson in Support. This solution of moving a column per workbook sheet does not work. "I've tried it with several customers." (sic). So, there is that.